Fixing a light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi –

I've got a couple of industrial shades with fittings in my kitchen. Whilst trying to replace one of the bulbs which was a bit stuck, the whole thing fell off leaving 2 bare wires exposed. I think the live cable had become worn and snapped. After taking the fitting apart ready to put it back together again, I'm not sure which screw the live and neutral wires should go in. Or does it matter?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi –

I've got a couple of industrial shades with fittings in my kitchen. Whilst trying to replace one of the bulbs which was a bit stuck, the whole thing fell off leaving 2 bare wires exposed. I think the live cable had become worn and snapped. After taking the fitting apart ready to put it back together again, I'm not sure which screw the live and neutral wires should go in. Or does it matter?

Thanks

Hi, yes it does matter, if the bulb holder is ES (screw in) you must make sure the neutral wire is connected to the outer screw connection and that Live is connected to the centre pin. If a BC lamp holder it does not matter which way round you connect it. N.B if the fitting is metal it must be earth.

Regards,

DS

Do you mean the whole shade thing fell off ? or just a bit of the lampholder.

The individual wires should not have the weight of the shade on them so shouldnt snap, theres possibly a form of clamp on the outer main sheathing of the cable that may have failed, allowing the fitting to drop. or maybe a chain support which should be slightly shorter than the wire to releive strain, this may need investigating to prevent it reoccuring.
post a pic if in doubt

The rose is made of metal and the has a braided cable coming from it. As the shade is metal, it's held up by a chain which as you say is slightly shorter so there's no strain on the wiring. Unfortunately the threads on the shade were a bit loose and that's put strain on the wiring which has eventually snapped. Some of the copper cable was still stuck round one of the screws. What I don't know is which screw the live goes into and which one the neutral goes into. Any help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could you post some photos? we should be able to quickly tell you then.

Is the flex damaged?
You mention metal lampholder but only 2 wires. Where is the earth wire? Or is the holder double insulated?

Deadshort already answered where the wires go
Its most likely a screw in lamp, so the brown wire to the centre pin and the blue to the outer thread, you should be able to see what terminal does which

I will post some pics tomorrow. It's a screw in not bayonet type. And apologies, I didn't see Deadshort's reply, just yours 33rocky333. Thanks for the many replies so far...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back