Fixing Brass Feet to Copper Planter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Can anyone advise me as to the options (other than welding) to securely re-attach these feet, which I think are brass, to this copper planter? I do have a MAPP blow torch and a soldering iron if either are any use.

Any advice appreciated, Thanks

IMG_20180330_104030184_zpslocxbn5p.jpg

Sponsored Links
Copper is an amazing conductor of heat, and any excess would certainly melt existing solder joins so you have to prepare for this by providing heat sinks where you don't want the heat to go.
We can't tell from here but the large seam on the copper planter may well be leaded solder so obviously enough you don't want to exceed that melting point!
Read up on 'silver soldering' which is much stronger than conventional lead based solder but doesn't need extreme temperatures to melt it. Various heat grades are available and a quality flux is required. Any areas to be joined must be very clean, of course.
If you don't want to go down that route, epoxy adhesives such as Araldite would be fine, especially as there seems to be a large surface area of the fractured parts.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Drill thought planter and into leg, fit suitable self tapping (stainless) screw.

You'd never see the head as it's full of soil..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back