Fixing doorbell plinth securely

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to fit a new doorbell and plinth as the old one was shot/weathered to heck.

Took the old bit of wood off, there are various screw holes filled with wood/plugs.

The problem is only one matches up to the screw hole in the plinth - most of the diameter of the plinth where you could drill another hole has a gaping hole in the wall behind..

Any ideas as to how I get around this? Thanks in advance..

Sponsored Links
Assuming the dark stuff is wood.
Get 2x small right angle brackets and screw them into each side/ top bottom
Then join the two brackets with a straight strip or piece of timber to provide a base for the screws

Genius idea Tigercubrider but it's stone, have used old wood as a template may work..

Get some 2 part resin chemical fixing stuff. Pull out all the rawl plugs, blow out all the dust (very important this is thorough), fill the holes with resin. Start again with drilling fresh holes for fresh plugs. The resin sets as hard as stone. You could put a self tapper straight in to the resin if some of it happens to be in the right position. (Drill a pilot hole first for ANY drilling you do)

Nozzle

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Managed it, used a couple of tongue tite flooring screws which have small heads..

Unfortunately the screws to secure the bell push surround were too long and hit the stone behind bending and then when I tried to get them out they snapped.

Secured in place with some slightly-too-big brass countersunk 6 x 1" screws.. until I can get some a bit smaller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back