Fixing large double rad to thermolite block wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If fixing a large double rad. To a thermolite (soft) block wall. Are normal plugs and screws OK? If I drill without hammer motion.

Sponsored Links
Is it thermolite or breeze block, there are subtle variations and types. Either or, use fixings designed for them, similar to gyproc fixings.

SCP120.jpg

Thanks guess those wouldn't work if the wall is dot and daub plaster though?

Nothing wrong with drilling a hole large enough up the block face to get the fixings in, then the correct sized holes into the block. The brackets will then sit over them just use long enough screws.
Or back fill the holes if you wish, with the screws in, let it set then remove the screws

Sponsored Links
dot dab and thermalite is worst possible combination they truly are sh#te walls undersize drill it for a red plug and tap in a brown plug use 4 inch number 10 or 12 screws

On soft thermal block and a heavy rad, I like to use long window frame fixings.

So on a standard 100 mm block, I would use a 100 or 75 mm fixing.

Been forced to hang this side radbon plasterboard before. Surely it should be OK??

fix this sized rad quite offten on these walls. we drill 7mm hole without hammer on, use good quality brown plugs and use 12x4 screws (pz3 driver needed)

It seems very difficult to buy standard wall plugs longer than 50 or 60 mm.

That's partly why I use window fixings.

But mainly because of the way they hold at the far end.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back