Fixing metal railings INTO coping stones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

I have made some metal railings that I am wanting to fix into the coping stones. I understand that traditionally once the railings were fitted into the holes that the holes would then be back filled with molten lead.

I dont fancy messing about with molten lead.

Apparently a resin can be used but I have no idea what sort and how to colour match it to the sandstone coloured coping stones.

Any advise would be a great help.

Thanks

Alex

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 872
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 370
Sponsored Links
Jeeezus! You are attempting drilling all those holes aligned successfully and without wandering and perfectly upright and without splitting the coping..?

Good luck.:eek:

Yep :D

Its been done once or twice before over the last century how hard can it be . . . . .

Only drilling down 50mm so slow and steady should be ok without splitting the coping??

Jeeezus! You are attempting drilling all those holes aligned successfully and without wandering and perfectly upright and without splitting the coping..?

Good luck.:eek:
A ‘builder’ who cant drill holes in a straight line? :LOL: class.

Sponsored Links

Its been done once or twice before over the last century how hard can it be . . . . .

Only drilling down 50mm so slow and steady should be ok without splitting the coping??
get a jig made up.

Deeper old copings, yes. Modern cast fellas not so sure...?

be safer and easier to use say 8 or 10mm stainless studs drilled and resined in to your copings and counterbore your railings to sit over them.

I would try a diamond core drill, the resin - just the stuff for resin anchors. Dust from the drilling (you'll have plenty) sprinkled on the resin to colour match. I'm sure you could knock up a timber jig to keep the drill vertical.

Thanks all, the coping is 5" deep so not even drilling half way and I have a jig to keep the drill vertical. As long as I mark up correctly and offer the railings up before hand it should be ok . . . .

The copings fixed using standard mortar I presume that bit is down to the builders. Either end of the railing is built into the pier or bolted to the house, also the railings arent as tall as in the picture.

Most railings I've seen have iron buttresses at intervals along the wall, which attach to the house-facing side of the wall to give additional support. Do you have those?

How long is the run(s) of railings between piers/walls and how high - that is the question .....

No expert but I'd have thought you'd get a less fragile job by drilling through into the brickwork. Even if the railings are only 500mm or so, a good hard shove could see those coping stones moving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back