Fixing shower screen to tiled plasterboard stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
our bathroom is finally almost complete, simply our bathtub just lacks a very useful shower screen.
Our builders built a stud wall, filled with rock wool and boarded with plasterboard, further there is tiles around the bath area. The shower screen hinges will be positioned on the tiles and I am questioning what is the best (i.e. the most secure) way to attach it.

The screen is very minimal (only two hinges, top and bottom) and I can imagine is of standard weight for a shower screen (approx. 15kg)
Alas, right behind where the screen is going to be placed there is no stud.

All I could think of are these options
a. normal raw plugs in the plasterboard under the tiles, two holes at the top for the one hinge and two at the bottom, I am really worried about the carrying load and seeing the screen is a swinging one etc.
b. Spring toggle fix, alas you need to drill a big diameter hole, 14mm and it is not great to drill. l such a big hole on the tiles (if not impossible). Same for the GripIt kind of fixing.
c. Cut a hole on the other side of the wall and fix a batten, again, understandably this is not the most favourite option considering the wall has been skimmed and decorated a month ago.

Does someone have any great inspirational idea?

Sponsored Links
Tiled wall should take screen with standard plugs , well fixed tiles greatly increase the wall strength.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back