Fixing the Freezer power cord

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20200501_150714.jpg

IMG_20200501_150659.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
My landlord got an old freezer for the house but the power cord is damaged (It was with insulating tape but clearly you can see that the blue wire "N" is damaged) He refuses to fix as it is working "perfectly"

As the power cord itself is connected to the motor can not be replaced, so how safe it is to cut and remove the damaged bit and connect back together with connectors? Will it affect to the freezer or my house electrics?

And If anyone knows will I be voiding the home insurance?

That is not safe, if your landlord will not do it then cut the plug off below the damaged section & fit a new plug. Swop the fuse over from the old one to the new one if it is a different rating. 3 pin 13amp plug

As above, it is not safe. It looks like the cord has been damaged by the freezer bring dragged over the power lead, a lot.
If the lead will still reach the socket, as above, cut the cord and fit a new plug.

The landlord is responsible for this.

Where a landlord provides an electrical appliance as part of a tenancy, the law expects the appliance will be maintained in a safe condition that will not cause harm to the tenant. Failure to do so could lead to the landlord being sued for negligence. However, the law is silent on how landlords should ensure they do this. As such, unless specifically required as part of a licence condition, portable appliance testing is always best practice for landlords but it is not a legal requirement.

Sponsored Links
Wherever he got that from looks like they may have Mice, that cable looks like its been nibbled.

Usually (not always) the power cable goes into an openable enclosure down near the motor (where thermostats etc are connected) so cable replacement is possible.
In this case its not your freezer so you shouldn't be touching it.
If your landlord was anywhere near being a fit and proper person he wouldn't have brought that appliance into the house- if you need to use it then your safest option (as taylortwocities) is cut the damaged cable out and fit a new plug.

Cut plug off +4", throw plug away, fit new plug onto 4" shorter lead. Done.

Nozzle

What a bastard your landlord is!, cut and fit new plug as mentioned, could you find another landlord?

I've had a tenant for 17 years, ex Army guy, keen cyclist and personal trainer, all round excellent tenant.

For ages I've been trying to do several things:

Replace carpets,
Decorate,
Replace bathroom.

He won't let me because he doesn't want the disruption.

2 years ago the gas cooker failed its annual inspection, the following day I took him to Currys to choose a new cooker, it was delivered and installed the following day at a total cost of nearly 2 months rent.

Stories like the OP's make me sick, there is no excuse for the evil greed of rogue landlords

Just cut back to the good cable and wire into a plug top

Just cut back to the good cable and wire into a plug top
What a brilliant idea. I can’t think why nobody thought if that before:rolleyes:

If the lead will still reach the socket, as above, cut the cord and fit a new plug.

your safest option is cut the damaged cable out and fit a new plug.

Cut plug off +4", throw plug away, fit new plug onto 4" shorter lead. Done.

Nozzle

Sometimes better to think to yourself rather than outloud.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back