Fixings for breeze block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put some shelves up in my garage.

I want to put wooden battens on the breeze block and fix the brackets to the battens.

Any good fixings out there to make sure the battens hold up?

Sponsored Links
i've not put fixings in breezeblock but i know it's very brittle and cracks easily. get wall plugs that are "specifically" for blockwork. have a look on the screwfix website under fixings to get an idea of what you need to suit the weight you going to apply.

I do put fixings in plasterboard which is sort of similar and I know for sure you need the right fixing and going cheapo for this type of situation just won’t do.

When you say breezeblock do you mean blocks that almost look like gravel moulded together with lots of voids in them. Or are they smoother concrete blocks. Often the term breeze block is used to describe all blocks. More info here.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Bricks-and-Blocks/Blocks/icat/bbblock

If you have any doubts as to the safety of any fixings why not build a free standing shelf unitand secure it to the wall with a couple of screws to prevent it tipping. Using this method would mean that the weight is on the floor amnd not pulling on the blockwork

Sponsored Links
for info it's the smooth Aerated Blocks that i've found prone to cracking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back