Flat Roof Replace and Rough Cost

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sorry, I can’t stand this attitude … if you know the flat roof has failed then get it fixed properly, either that or admit it to the buyer and deduct the true cost of the repair from the sale price.

Trying to patch over things to leave some poor family with the additional cost of removing your bodge job to do the thing right is a big part of the problem with the housing market in this country.

This idea that buyers drives sellers prices down is fantasy, in which part of the country is this happening in the current climate?

I assume you are no longer coming round to view the property then albaPhenom? :p

It's even your attitude here that's quite telling, you know you're screwing these people over and gloating about it.

People shouldn't have given you any assistance.

No you told him to bodge it up and pass the cra p to the next person.

Thats BS

used housing stock will have issues: properties weather and age, when you buy a house from the used stock, it will have issues that is expected, it is why surveys are done

the final price reflects the value of the house

It is a perfectly reasonable financial decision whether to replace a flat roof or not

Why should a seller pay for a replacement flat roof if he doesnt get his money back

It's even your attitude here that's quite telling, you know you're screwing these people over and gloating about it.

People shouldn't have given you any assistance.
lets suppose he pays £4k to do the roof

and the buyer doesnt pay the increase in value

will you be complaining the buyer is screwing him over??

I patched the spots with some roof sealant, bitumin type stuff I think it was, about 2 years ago or so but it's gone beyond that now, the boards absolutely are totally shot.

It think it's probably a good shout to just take up the existing, put down some new boards and re-cover, leaving the existing insulation in place. ie, it's basically a big repair. I feel in the same park as Notch7, weighing up the situations if I spend £3k - £5k for example on a new roof, I am not going to get that reflected in the sale, the true reflection will probably be the quick cut and cover solution. The buyer won't give a crap about me or my money or my family, the same argument will be had whether I spend £1k on the roof or £5k on the roof for the purpose of them trying to pull my price down only for them to know they will pull the whole extension down before long anyway.

If it's a roof that lasts even 5 - 7 years, I have not done anyone any injustice at all.

I appreciate all the inputs.

whatever you do, beware that buyers use the survey as a negotiating tactic -they know vendors wont want to pull out at that stage.

So if you get a buyer putting in a bid less than the asking using the "it needs a new flat roof" as the justification, once they get the survey, they will do the same again "oh look at the survey, house needs £10 k spent on it , I want that off the price"

lets suppose he pays £4k to do the roof

and the buyer doesnt pay the increase in value

will you be complaining the buyer is screwing him over??

If necessary repairs cost x amount then they should be deducted from the value of the property on the home report, unfortunately most surveyors do little more than eyeball a property and apply a value in line with the surrounding area.

There's been suggestions here of doing things the surveyor won't pick up on to game the system.

I find your whole vocabulary around houses to be strange too tbh, "used stock"... you mean the vast majority of properties on the market?

I'm guessing you're a "property developer" or someone who flips houses?

Any property I've ever heard of being sold in the past 10 years has had a home report done, a value is given for the property and it's put on the market at "offers over" that amount or somewhere just under that amount. The biggest hurdle new potential home owners have in this country is being outbid by other buyers bidding over the home report value, which must be paid out of their own pocket... this is simply fact. Unless you happen to live in a part of the country where the polar opposite is happening... the market has been a sellers market for 20+ years.

If necessary repairs cost x amount then they should be deducted from the value of the property on the home report,

that depends whether the buyer took into account the condition of the property at the time of the bid....if they did then they should not be knocking more off at survey

an estate agent told me around 50% of houses fall through at survey because its now treated like another round of negotiations

unfortunately most surveyors do little more than eyeball a property and apply a value in line with the surrounding area.
thats just a valuation survey for mortgage purposes

Any property I've ever heard of being sold in the past 10 years has had a home report done
a legal requirement in Scotland not England

TBH the Scottish system is better and more transparent

Sorry, I can’t stand this attitude … if you know the flat roof has failed then get it fixed properly, either that or admit it to the buyer and deduct the true cost of the repair from the sale price.

Trying to patch over things to leave some poor family with the additional cost of removing your bodge job to do the thing right is a big part of the problem with the housing market in this country.

This idea that buyers drives sellers prices down is fantasy, in which part of the country is this happening in the current climate?
Eh?!?

Not sure about down south, up here we have 'Home Reports' that give potential buyers an overview re building condition. Ok, some say they're not worth the paper they're printed on, however they do give an indication re approx age/condition of electrics, roof, heating etc.

I'm afraid if I ever sell my property, one thing I won't be doing is saying to viewers 'yeah, a few of these kitchen cupboard doors are about to fall off, the heating's on the blink more than it works, the drains are forever blocking up, the garage roof ideally needs replaced and oh yeah, I've recently discovered a couple of small leaks through the main roof.'

Neither would I attempt to rectify all these things unless the fix was easy/cheap as you rarely recoup the financial outlay when you sell. If anything gets picked up via survey and/or viewers, then negotiate from there I say.

There's honest and then there's being foolishly honest ;)

There's a big difference in knowing there is a problem and not knowing . In this case op knows .And you are showing your true colours..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back