Flavel Welcome Fire repeatedly failing spillage tests, Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, im new to the whole forum thing so excuse my ignorance.
I was recently asked by an existing customer to check a fire which had failed 3 spillage tests on a survey by cavity wall surveyors. (the fire is a Flavel Welcome GC no. 32.274.47).
I removed the fire and carried out flue flow tests with and without the closure plate fitted (all ok), checked the sizes of the relief openings with the MI (again all ok), stripped the fire down for a good clean and re-fitted the closure plate and fire. After running the fire on full for 5 minutes I tried smoke matches at both of the spillage test points specified in the MI which both failed, then waited a further 5 minutes, re-tested and it failed again.
Now the customer has recently had double glazing put in the room (door and window) which has vastly reduced the draught and I had thought that a re-test with the door/window open would pass, and that a vent would be required, However after opening first the window and testing, then the door, and then both it still failed!
I have since phoned the Flavel technical line and was fobbed off by someone who really couldnt be bothered to talk.
Any help/ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated (Also need to satisfy my curiosity) and don't worry, its been capped off and made safe until i can make head or tail of why it keeps failing.
Thanks, Alex.

Sponsored Links
Hi sorry forgot to mention :oops: its a precast block flue until it gets into the loft then its selkirk and into a ridge terminal, Cheers, Alex

If you are not sure what you are doing then you should call in a registered
gassafe installer for advice. Messing about with peoples gas supplies when not classed as compatent can be very dangerous to the customer as well as yourself.
You clearly seem to be unsure of the proper procedures so leave it to trained operatives. Your ignorance is excused on this occasion.

Sponsored Links
If you are not sure what you are doing then you should call in a registered
gassafe installer for advice. Messing about with peoples gas supplies when not classed as compatent can be very dangerous to the customer as well as yourself.
You clearly seem to be unsure of the proper procedures so leave it to trained operatives. Your ignorance is excused on this occasion.

who said he ain't competent

alex apply for the cc no gas advice on open forum (site rules)

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=114690

I am gas safe registered and procedures were followed, as the installation is currently safe and regs have been followed. I carry out more installation work than fault finding and was simply looking for advice and other fitters opinions, typical straight away of some big head to give me a smart arse reply, which by the way, is probably putting genuine people who want answers to genuine problems off coming to these sites in the first place.

And thanks kevplumb, will do so

Thanks Baxmax, looks like its the old rods and brushes for me then, although on flue inspection it did seem pretty damned clear. I might disconnect and inspect the straight section of selkirk in the loft as that cannot be seen from below incase a good old cumbrian tarantula has made a warm nest halfway up. Appreciate the speedy response and I guess brain fart on my behalf. Thanks again.

And I have applied for the CC so I can get my help without you guys handing out tips to the unregistered have a go members of the public out there.

Cheers, Alex.

alex444";p="1715081 said:
I am gas safe registered and procedures were followed, as the installation is currently safe and regs have been followed.

Not being a smart arse, but HOW is is it safe, or do you mean disconected? Anway, cobwebs are the likely culprit, IF it was tested and passed ok on installation. Biggest problem area is the RTA. If it wasn't previously tested and ok, it may be mortar snots.

Must say there are a lot of smart ar5e5 on this thread :LOL:

Thanks for all replies guys, and yes I meant safe as in Capped off the supply and labelled.
I know the fitter who used to carry out the servicing work for the customer and he tells me it has always passed (and yes he is a reputable engineer who when he says it passed, he means it passed) which rules out the mortar snorts. Customer says it hasn't been serviced for 2-3 years now though so im leaning towards the cobwebs.

Anyways thanks to all who put forward helpful suggestions. If I ever should need advice on another gas related topic I will use the CC so im in keeping with site rules.
Thanks Again, Alex.

was gonna wait til you went into cc but heyho. have you had a good look at the ridge tile? I've had them collapse a lttle bit before and its enough to make them spill. isn't always easy to see from the floor. get some bins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back