Flex for heater lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I want to replace a flex feeding a quartz heater lamp on my patio wall. The lamp is 1.3kw which, using your chart above, I would consider a 1.0mm flex more than adequate (I have some 1.0mm kicking around).

The original flex fitted by the manufacturer is 1.5mm and the label states \\\"heat resistant flex to be used\\\". I find the heat resistant note odd as the flex clearly does not touch the casing at any point. Why would I need to use heat flex? Is this a reg?

Also, the existing flex looks like the rubber type which I can only find available in Black. My whole aim is to fit a white flex (my wall is painted white). Do I need to use the rubber flex? What is the purpose of rubber instead of PVC?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The manufactorers will give the instructions in a way that if something happens they will be covered.

You can find white heath resistant flex even in B&Q.

I would strongly recommend that you follow the manufactorers instructions; for insurance reasons and as well they might have a reason that you don't know about.

Although it seems that 1mm2, would be ok, I would replace it like for like.

Use HOFR
Heat Oil Flame Retardant
Manufacturer knows best, do you think they use more expensive cable than they have to?

Remember that the last few inches of the flex go inside the lamp casing. This has a very hot lamp inside it, so the case, and the parts and air inside it, are going to be very hot. You might even find the manufacturer has supplied some fibreglass braid to go over the ends of the insulation just before the terminals (this is extra resistant to heat).

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, and I will go and get the White!

Qedelec: Good point.

JohnD: I take your point. In this case a separate pvc housing is outside the metal casing and away from any real heat but I can see the sense in replacing like-for-like for good measure and avoiding the unforeseen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back