Flex into CU?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 rear outdoor lights which are connected using flex. They are currently plugged into a socket in the garage. I'm planning to tidy this arrangement up and give them their own way in my CU.

Are the any regs/best practice/preferences about taking flex into a CU. I can see it being difficult to keep flex neat in the CU, but changing to T&E introduces an unnecessary connection.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
There is no regulation to stop you taking flex into a consumer unit. However I would use pin crimps. Also of course work in a CU will come under Part P in England and Wales and could require notifying.

And you should really have a switch to isolate these lights, quite commonly placed out of the way (like next to the CU). Flex into the switch and T+E out to the CU.

Sponsored Links
The correct way to do this is a length of suitable cable from CU to a DP switched FCU (possibly with a neon indicator) with a 3amp fuse in it, and then flex from the FCU to the light fittings. The flex outlet of the FCU secures the flex.
I have that arrangement in use at my home.

I would't say that that is the "correct" way to do it. Another way yep, but not "the correct" way.

Thank you gentlemen.

Think I'll go for the switched FCU plan. Might go crazy and include a neon.

Also of course work in a CU will come under Part P in England and Wales and could require notifying.
Will require notifying...

Really? If he connects to an existing lighting circuit at the mcb, and the CU is not in a kitchen/special location, I don't think he needs to notify. I can't find anything that even BAS could construe makes such work in a CU notifiable.

Aren't outside lights notifiable?

He's not proposing to work on the lights. If he's not doing any work on the lights, there's nothing to notify.

Anyway, outside lights are not notifiable if they are attached to the outside wall of a house.

Their own way in a CU constitutes a new circuit which is notifiable.

Anyway, outside lights are not notifiable if they are attached to the outside wall of a house.
I thought that was only the case if there was no 'outside wiring' - i.e. if the wiring went straight through the wall into the light fitting; the OP's present arrangement appears to show wiring going along the outside wall.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back