Flex outlet from a round PVC conduit box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to effect some.

I know that Marshall Tufflex make these

MA02_MCGP2WH_large.jpg

but they're a tad pricey (anybody know of any others, BTW?)

I don't need great IP performance - it will be outside but under cover, so no rain or spray, but I ought to allow for the odd drip. I'm sure that just plugging the stub from the box with silicone sealant would work perfectly well, but that seems a bit of a tacky bodge. I did think I might fill the boxes with Magic Gel until I saw the price :eek:

I was thinking of a short length of conduit with a female adapter, all cemented together and into the box, and then a stuffing gland into the adapter. Can anyone foresee problems with that working?

Sponsored Links
Can't see any on their site. AFAIK, most glands are nylon, which doesn't glue well. I did try a quick search, but as is increasingly common these days the results were heavily skewed to B2B sites, and I don't really want 10,000 glands FOB Shenzhen.... :LOL: [Makes mental note to remember to add '-alibaba' to searches]

Sponsored Links
2nd options fine just makes spout look a bit longer, other options are a plastic sguare box, metal conduit box or a threaded dome lid, though never seen a plastic one, though ive seen plastic besa lids drilled to take a stuffing gland

I was thinking of a short length of conduit with a female adapter, all cemented together and into the box, and then a stuffing gland into the adapter. Can anyone foresee problems with that working?

Thats what I've always done. If it ends up protruding too far, then I have shortenedd both the stub on the box and the adapater with a hacksaw in the past

You could aso drill the lid to take the stuffing gland depending on what angle the cable needs to emerge at

Edit: Rather than magic gel consider http://www.remora.net/catalogue/joi...lectrical-compound/r391-weatherproof-compound

2nd options fine just makes spout look a bit longer
Can live with that - I have the room for it. Round 3-ways are what I'm using (or inspection Ts, if there's enough room inside for the connectors), to tee off in a number of places from a run of conduit. Application is lights being fitted under a patio canopy. Not normally a fan of PVC conduit, but the canopy is white, so it will blend in.

Whilst thinking of the route, and the practical problems of fitting it in and around the various corners and supports (in the end I gave up in some places, hence the flex exits, as I won't be able to take conduit all the way to the lights :cry:) I thought "Why does nobody make couplers in the form of flexible PVC tube with a 20mm ID which would accommodate odd angles and changes in alignment?"

You could aso drill the lid to take the stuffing gland depending on what angle the cable needs to emerge at
Up this way:

screenshot_764.jpg

Yo - I've used that before. Might have some somewhere, and it shouldn't have gone hard. But as I said - it's not really needed.

I often use flexi pipe with normal threaded push on couplers to negotiate tricky angles between pipework, usually where the colour mismatch is not important.
Years ago you could buy 20mm conduit on a roll and it was more flexible and could bend any way you desired

I would replace the circular boxes with small adaptable plastic boxes, and drill for a TRS gland. To make things neater, I would opt for clip in saddles, not spacer bar. I would also lean towards Marshall Tufflex. Some wholesalers are stocking MK and MITA, and it's not as smart. Their saddles and adaptors look tat, and the conduit isn't gloss, which means it shows up dirty hands, and looks grubby after a while.

Just thought of more swings'n'roundabouts...
I would replace the circular boxes with small adaptable plastic boxes, and drill for a TRS gland.
I'd also have to drill for 2 conduit entries, and fit 2 male adapters, so...

Just thought of more swings'n'roundabouts...
I would replace the circular boxes with small adaptable plastic boxes, and drill for a TRS gland.
I'd also have to drill for 2 conduit entries, and fit 2 male adapters, so...

Obviously you would need to drill for the adaptors too, female being my choice as you can set it further back against the box to prevent the need to form a set.
Females are nicer looking IMO too.

The MITA and MK ones can be hit and miss. Often the lockring or bush is tight and hard to screw into/onto the adaptor. IMO, MT is by far the smartest, cleanest and the easiest to use. When you're fitting loads of it, finding you need to constantly prat around to do up a lock nut can drive you mad!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back