flex outlet question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've got a situation where I need power behind a built in oven, both for the oven and the ignition for the gas hob. I'm thinking of converting the existing single switched outlet to a flex outlet (as there will be no room for two plugs). However as I need two outlets should I provide two flex outlets or can I 'tee' into one? Or is there a better way to do this job.

Thanks in anticipation

Brian :confused:

Sponsored Links
how do you intend to provide fusing for the appliances? There should be two fuses, one for each appliance, as the oven will req 13 amps, and the hob 3 amps.

good point! So far I have provided a separate ring circuit for the appliances in the kitchen. The DW and WM are off FCUs and the combi micro is on a separate radial. The fridge, hob and oven are simply plugged into the ring. I haven't thought about fusing yet! :oops:

Easiest solution would be to move the socket down or up where there's more space, or into the cupboard next door to the oven. Fit a double socket, as the hob is very low loading.

Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
or into the cupboard next door to the oven. quote]

I was just thinking about this but having been told off about this before ( quote.." accessories to be fitted to the building fabric.." ) I was a bit dubious

Is this work being signed off by building control under a building notice? by law it should be, under part p of the building regs.

I recently passed my domestic installer qualification and will be using this job as my first assessment job

Nice one. Best stick to the book them. All appliances should have their own local isolation. An FCU above the worktop feeding a double socket behind the oven, above or below it.

Cheers crafty. Are the Fridge and extractor OK to leave on the ring (just the 'below worktop appliances' needing FCUs)?

Yes. I would have run a seperate non-RCD circuit for the fridge and freezer, but they are fine.

BTW, you're alright asking me, I'm not a spark. :eek:

Crafty said:
BTW, you're alright asking me, I'm not a spark. :eek:

I'm sure the amount you and me have picked up from here over the years would at least be equal to a domestic installers qualification :)

You'd be surprised. Trainee retail manager.

Most of my knowledge has been learnt from this forum lol. strangely addictive. :LOL: I'm like a big knowledge sponge :cool:

An industry to fall back on in case I ever get tired of retail ;)

I guess the forum can be a wealth of information.

It occurs to me though that a lot of fully qualified sparks 'dis' the domestic installers qualification. Maybe they believe that general builders/ kitchen fitters/bathroom fitters /multi-traders etc. are just taking their work away and are not worthy of dabbling in the electrical industry?? :confused: But as I fall into at least three of these catogories, I thought that taking the exam should at least give me half a chance of doing the job correctly and safely and picking you guy's brains occasionally should cover the bits that I'm not too sure about! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back