flex outlet question

Elitepm said:
I haven't thought about fusing yet! :oops:

And this is your assessment job?!

I don't think qualified electricians are worried about losing work. Since Part P there is twice as much work for domestic sparks. And with the amount of remedial work we have to do after dodgy installations have been carried out, it's a good thing that more installers are getting onto a scheme.

Sponsored Links
No seriously, I would love to study and become fully qualified as I would also love to become CORGI registered but I have to go to work to earn a living.
I have total respect for fully qualified electricians but I just wish that they would cut the rest of us some slack sometimes :(

Sponsored Links
I don't have a grievance with regard to loosing work, it is more because I spent 4 1/2 years at college and as an apprentice learning how to do the job, and at the end of that period I was still not of the ability to be out on my own trading as an electrician.

The bit that worries me is that I do not understand how you can be qualified as a domestic installer after such a short college course an potentialy next to no site experiance.

The sad thing is that I have seen plenty of bad, and in some cases down right dangerous electrical work carried out by people who are not deliberatly cutting corners, they just simply do not have the correct level of knowlege or experiance to be carrying out the types of jobs they are doing.

The fact that you (OP) have gone to the trouble of going to college to earn a formal qualification, and are asking for advice on here about things you are unsure of IMO puts you above many people who do wiring.

Please note this is not a personal attack at you, I'm just trying to give you an insute into why some electricians may have a problem with DIs

Thanks for that RF :D
I don't really want to harp on about this all night but I'm a small one man business, working on recommendations, trying to abide by regulations and work in a safe manner. I appreciate it very much when time-served qualified sparks can offer invaluable advice.
I do have some previous experience (agency sparks in the Docklands
c 1989 fitting loop lighting for 6 months non-stop!). Also, in various forms of the building industry for the past 22 years. However, when I did my course there were some numb-nuts who didn't know anything about domestic wiring previously. And they passed! After all the domestic installer qualification puts an emphasis on building and electrical regs not necessarily being a useful electrician....
I've got to go now my kids are on the play station and won't go to bed... I'm thinking of pulling the mains lead out... is this notifiable?? :LOL:

RF Lighting said:
...I spent 4 1/2 years at college and as an apprentice learning how to do the job, and at the end of that period I was still not of the ability to be out on my own trading as an electrician.

...I do not understand how you can be qualified as a domestic installer after such a short college course an potentialy next to no site experiance.
You can't. The DISQ or EAL courses are an absolute minimum paper qualification for enrolment onto a self-certification scheme. The real assessment happens onsite and many course attendees leave it many months between the two, getting up to speed. (I've even known some re-sit the course as their assessment looms.)

The sad thing is that I have seen plenty of bad, and in some cases down right dangerous electrical work carried out by people who are not deliberatly cutting corners, they just simply do not have the correct level of knowlege or experiance to be carrying out the types of jobs they are doing.
Quite so. And some of this work is done by supposedly qualified electricians... deliberately cuting corners!

The fact that you (OP) have gone to the trouble of going to college to earn a formal qualification, and are asking for advice on here about things you are unsure of IMO puts you above many people who do wiring.
Agreed. Sparks wanted a closed shop, which would never have happened. This is what we got and the sheer numbers of other trades waiting to get on courses is an indication that they are not all cowboys.

(Although plenty are - and will remain - spurred up.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back