Flex used in walls?

Quibblers aside, if the only thing on the load side of the switch is one single socket (hence a 13A max fuse), then I think one would struggle to produce a sensible electrical argument against inserting a 20A switch into a 32A ring or radial (and people do it all the time with those collections of 'kitchen grid switches'!). ... and, in case someone is thinking of that one, I do not personally believe that the regs are saying that only "accessories to BS1363" may be inserted in a ring final.

I thought it had crept up before :)

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1842407#1842407

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=821166#821166

Sponsored Links
I would assume the switch fitted in a FCU is rated at 13a which is wired into a RFC which is protected by a 32a OPD, one would assume a 20a switch would be acceptable wired in a grid switch supplied by a RFC , yes ? no !

Regards,

DS

Common sense says yes but the regs say no.

The only devices to be supplied by a RFC must be BS1363 accessories.

Sponsored Links
Common sense says yes but the regs say no. ... The only devices to be supplied by a RFC must be BS1363 accessories.
As I said a few posts back (and many times before) in an attempt to pre-empt this, and as BAS is often pointing out, that crucial word "only" does not actually appear in the regs.

Appendix 15 of the regs clearly shows junction boxes wired into a ring final - do you think that is non-compliant, or are you perhaps aware of any JBs to BS1363?

Kind Regards, John

Are junction boxes accessories?
Are switches accessories?

AFAIAA, neither can be 'to BS1363', so, whether they are accessories or not, they cannot be said to be "accessories to BS1363" - which you seem to think are the 'only' things that the regs allow to be connected to a ring final (despite the word "only" not appearing in the reg).

Kind Regards, John

As junction boxes have been fitted to ring circuits 'for ever' it must be acceptable to connect other than BS1363 accessories to a ring.
BS1363 accessories may also be supplied through a radial circuit.

Therefore what is the reason for starting the regulation with "Accessories to BS1363 may be supplied through a ring..." and then describing the requirements for that ring which has nothing to do with the accessories?

Is it like saying "Ford Mondeos may travel on a motorway which [requirements of motorway]".
What does it actually mean?

As junction boxes have been fitted to ring circuits 'for ever' it must be acceptable to connect other than BS1363 accessories to a ring.
Quite so.
Therefore what is the reason for starting the regulation with "Accessories to BS1363 may be supplied through a ring..." and then describing the requirements for that ring which has nothing to do with the accessories? ... What does it actually mean?
I know it's dangerous trying to look into the minds of those who wrote it, but I suspect their intent was to require that all loads supplied by a ring final have local protection no greater than 13A - i.e. they were really only thinking about BS1363 sockets and FCUs. Ironically, if we accept that the wording allows non-BS1363 accessories to be fitted, they seem to have 'forgotten' to prohibit BS546 sockets, which I would rather have expected them to want to do!

Kind Regards, John

Hi

I've not been able to return to this issue for the moment as it was something I was trying to get done on a day when I was without a power tool to get another area of the house done.

Having had a glimpse through some more reply's since I last checked the thread I can clear up a few points though.

The diagram I supplied is correct in the sense it was only intended to convey the situation as I found it rather than suggesting it to be the way it should be wired which it is not.

I see the point made about the double socket and FCU being on the ring which makes sense to me now but am I correct in thinking this part of it should see all the wires being connected through the supply terminals on the FCU and only the load terminals being used to connect the cable going between the FCU and the tumble dryer socket?

What I failed to mention was as part of fitting the tumble dryer my intention is to replace the switched single socket with a Deta Slimline 25A flex outlet plate S1215. Due to the way the kitchen was installed, unless I replace conventional plug sockets behind where the integrated appliances go then they wont push back far enough not to jut out slightly. Therefore with this approach I will only have one fuse present in the FCU which is above the counter. I need to do the same with the other appliances, washing machine and dish washer but as their sockets I believe are original they already have the switch above the counter on a grid plate, I just need to swap out their conventional sockets for the flex outlet plates. Their respective fuses for the washing machine and dishwasher are alongside their switch in the grid plate. Same situation as someone mentioned earlier with the way the original configuration is there is a fused plug as well as a fuse in the grid plate. I was thinking the swapping out of the conventional socket for the flex outlet plate was how it should have been originally if there is a fused grid plate present?

As mentioned before, here are the pictures of the flex. This is the piece from between the FCU and single socket behind the tumble dryer which is therefore not connected at the moment.

£1 coin used in pictures to aid interpretation of scale

Z2ZEChjl.jpg

2UXax6Rl.jpg

Kind regards
Justin

If it helps, and you're using Google Chrome, right-clicking on the images and selecting "Open image in new tab" displays them at a sensible scale.

(dunno whether other browsers have this option)

If it helps, and you're using Google Chrome, right-clicking on the images and selecting "Open image in new tab" displays them at a sensible scale.
So it does! Unfortunately that doesn't remove the annoying need to scroll all over the place to read the text (of every post on this page)!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back