Flex used in walls?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Well I've measured across the diameter of the copper stranded core having made a fresh cut off the end and it measures 2mm so I'm confused now what type of flex this is.

Kind regards
Justin

Well I've measured across the diameter of the copper stranded core having made a fresh cut off the end and it measures 2mm so I'm confused now what type of flex this is.
Do you have a micrometer or vernier caliper which would enable you to measure the diameter of one of the strands (and also count the number of strands)?

Kind Regards, John

Hi

Unfortunately I don't have those tools but have counted the stands to be 47 or thereabouts, might have missed 1 or 2.

Kind regards
Justin

Unfortunately I don't have those tools but have counted the stands to be 47 or thereabouts, might have missed 1 or 2.
I'm not totally sure where that leaves us. 1.25mm² flex usually has 40 strands, each of 0.2mm diameter, 1.5mm² flex usually has 30 strands each of 0.25mm diameter and 2.5mm² flex usually has 50 strands each of 0.25mm diameter.

On the basis of the number of strands you've counted (plus maybe 3 missed), it sounds as if you may have 2.5mm² flexible cable. What is the outside diameter of the entire cable (the outside white sheathing)?

Kind Regards, John

Hi

It measures 10mm across the diameter including the white outer sheath.

Kind regards
Justin

And for a stranded cable, 2mm OD is pretty close to 1.78mm.

That's the usefulness of that table - you don't need to have fantastically precise measuring tools. Because there's a limited range of standard sizes a less-than-precise measurement is usually close enough to one of them to conclude that it must be that one.

And for a stranded cable, 2mm OD is pretty close to 1.78mm. ... That's the usefulness of that table - you don't need to have fantastically precise measuring tools. Because there's a limited range of standard sizes a less-than-precise measurement is usually close enough to one of them to conclude that it must be that one.
All true - in fact far better if one factors in the 'rule of thumb' that, for the sort of sizes we're commonly interested in, the overall diameter of a stranded core tends to be around 10% greater than that of a solid core of the same CSA.

1.78mm + 10% = 1.96mm

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back