flexible gas hose connecting gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to all for your help...i really wasnt having a go at the gas engineer..simply wanted to know why hoses arent used...we are glad he turned the item off......
dave

Sponsored Links
Just British Standard (BS) standards/ Gas Regulations
I'm sure someone will follow up with exactly the regulation and the standard, Your fire is attached to a flue and basically a flued appliance must be hard (copper/iron) piped. You can use a rubber hose to connect up a cooker as a cooker is classed as a flueless appliance.

Your engineer has acted correctly and you should be thanking him for his professionalism.

He is responsible for advising you and ensuring it is safe, not however to remedy the situation.

Call back the original installer and ask him to do his job correctly.

thanks for helping, we cant find the original booklet but have had it for years...maybe best to renew it now..i just wanted to know why you cant use a flexible hose is it because of the heat or just a regualtion type thing....i.e flued appliance as informed here

Sponsored Links
Just be pleased that you had a competent engineer visit.

It always amazes me that householders employ the skill of a RGI, but only to the point of accepting his advice if it suits them.

You could have employed a non-registered cowboy and would then be left with with a non-conforming and possibly dangerous appliance, but then, you would be happy :confused: :?:

simple rule for it; only freestanding cooker can have flexible connection with bajonet. fixed appliances have fixed connections

the simple reason that you cannot use a flexi on a fixed flued appliance is so that you dont lift the fire forward (either intentionally or accidently) and instead of the flue gas foing up the flue it simply enters the room and will end up killing you

the simple reason that you cannot use a flexi on a fixed flued appliance is so that you dont lift the fire forward (either intentionally or accidently) and instead of the flue gas foing up the flue it simply enters the room and will end up killing you
are you serious?
how does that rule work on a fixed hob?

bengasman are you being serious, have a think about what i said and the fundamental difference between the OP's fire and your hob and then tell me my explanation is wrong when my concern was with the fire FLUE SPIGOT being removed from the flue and how that relates to your FLUELESS fixed hob :rolleyes:

you misunderstood my question, or i misunderstood your answer.
i thought you meant that rule went for general use of flex.

as george said: you misunderestimated me.

Bengasman now i am completely confused, start again cause now i have no idea if i misundersttod you or vice versa :rolleyes:

When I was a smaller boy ( 9-12 ) I am sure that I remember that gas fires were usually supplied with gas via a flexible hose with a spiral steel reinforcing wire on the outside.

I did not like football and looked at gas fires instead!

Is my memory bad or can some older ex-BGs confirm my memory is not failing ( yet )?

Tony

I remember gas pokers being fitted with a flexi as you say. It is conceivable that you are right because before Ivy hodge put the kettle on back in 16th May 1968 there were few rules and people were free to use common and not so common sense. A house I visit regularly has a now disconnected gas point on the landing that I assume is for just such an appliance.

Agile your right some fires where fitted years ago on flexs also there used to be such a thing as a portable fire ,Flueless of course that could be moved from room to room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back