Flexible hose to gas hob?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently became a landlord and rented out my flat which I have lived in for the last 11 years. As part of the process I had to have a gas safety check carried out. Everything checked out fine except for the flexible hose from the bayonet fitting at the end of the rigid pipework to the termination on the gas hob. The engineer said this should be rigid all the way?

Is this correct? If so, why? Why do DIY stores still sell the flexible hoses if they are not to be used? How come it needs to be changed now when it has been fine for the last 11 years and has probably been fine since the property was built in the 70's?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The only hobs that can be flexi connected are when it's specified in the manufacturers instructions.

It matters not if yours has been that way since the days of Henry Tudor. If the RGi has found it non-compliant then that's what it is.

Sponsored Links
Question is, why the are these sheds selling he damn hoses in the first place :(.

Tell me about it I noticed b&q selling u gauges the other day

The hose thing is a topic of conversation that comes up between RGIs from time to time.

Basically unless the manufacturer says a hose is ok then is is classed as AT RISK and should be re piped in copper

The whole thing is ludicrous.
The gas industry has got itself so tied up in it own rules and regs it doesn't
know if it is coming or going.
Manufacturers instructions might have said ok to install with a flexible pipe.
Who knows and who can tell.

It all comes down to common sense in my book.
If the hose is secure and in good condition and not likely to cause a problem
then how can it be a problem!!!

Manufacturers instructions might have said ok to install with a flexible pipe. Who knows and who can tell.

You can tell by looking in the MI's. They would've taken priority 11 years ago, nothing's changed. Only a flued appliance connected with a flexi is AR. For flueless it's MI's. By the age of the hob, the MI's will state rigid connection. It'll be unsafe to push a hot oven under the hob so you may find those that allow flexis only do so without ovens.

i went to a property the other week ,to a gas leak, the leak was found on the hose caused by a rat this was easy to identify as it was behind a free standing cooker.

Did some subcontract work on a new build site last yr told the firm/builder to sort the instructions out for hob which was set in a work surface that rose up and down . .......like talking to a brick wall. :rolleyes:

How can a experianced gas company not be aware weather a appliance should be piped up in rigid or flexy ?

The same company gave me a set of laminated drawings of a gas runs for a block of flats with COPPER running within communal areas :rolleyes: (loads of core drilling). 10min flick through a corgi book would tell ya its not legal never mind finding time to laminate a set of A3 drawing...........rant over. :evil:

i went to a property the other week ,to a gas leak, the leak was found on the hose caused by a rat this was easy to identify as it was behind a free standing cooker.

What the rat or the hose??!!

Common sense view; hard pipe all hobs. Most will have hot ovens under them & hoses are not designed to be melted by your Sunday Roast.
Most of the RGIs on this forum make me laugh.......... :LOL:

Evidently the rat was not gas safe registered!

OP, I saw a kitchen which had been burnt out by a gas leak from a flexible hose feeding a hob!

Very luckily the Bangladeshi tenants turned off the gas at the meter and prevented the whole house burning down!

Evidently the rat was not gas safe registered!

OP, I saw a kitchen which had been burnt out by a gas leak from a flexible hose feeding a hob!

Very luckily the Bangladeshi tenants turned off the gas at the meter and prevented the whole house burning down!

There you go again Tony; Curry at the foremost of your thoughts!!........ ;)

I would guess one of the men works in a restaurant kitchen and thus knows about turning off the gas supply when there is a problem!

Its very lucky for the landlord that he acted so promptly.

The actual damage in the kitchen was very small. Just confined to the kitchen units around the hob.

But the smoke had blackened the walls all the flat and the whole place had to be redecorated.

I always wondered if any of that could have been claimed off any insurance. I would doubt it.

A friend let her flat and the single mother tenant was fire bombed by one of her mad boyfriends causing about £13,000 of damage and another £3000 loss of rent. Nothing could be claimed from insurance as they not advised the insurers that it was rented out.

Its those kind of things that make me so disparaging of social tenants as they have so much antisocial behaviour.

Is this correct? If so, why? Why do DIY stores still sell the flexible hoses if they are not to be used? How come it needs to be changed now when it has been fine for the last 11 years and has probably been fine since the property was built in the 70's?

for one. flexi hoses are sold for free standing cookers. not hobs. and secondly people can say what they want on here. yet there not on site looking at the job. trying to point out safety issues and covering there ass on what is a mess of regs and rules. and thirdly you ask for a gas SAFETY check up yet. question the advice given you. what if it was an lpg hob with a standard cooker hose. ok for 11 years then boom. p.s rubber hoses do perish by the way.

There should be a section on this forum that could have recorded announcements which run when clicked on a link. The link then could be labeled 'No, you cannot have a Flexi hose fitted to a hob'. This topic is like a bad penny, it keeps coming back.

Another is, 'can I remove the cover on my boiler- I am competent'

Yet another 'I plan to fit my CH system- can I get it commissioned' NO YOU CANNOT :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back