Gas hob with drawers underneath, what do the regs say?

Yep agree that samsung are one of the market leaders just now they have some fantastic stuff, we too have a Samsung fridge freezer and cant fault it in any way

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ian. That's how I read it too, but forum opinion seems to weigh in favour of rigid pipe.

Part of the consideration is the routing of the flexible cable and its construction.

The domestic cooker hoses are a metal spiral surrounded by a rubber casing. The rubber provides the gas tight part and the metal only strength.

One of the considerations if fitting one is that its going to hang adequately, often this is in a "U" shape.

Another is that its not going to be rubbed or abraded. This is very likely if there are drawers under the hob.

Tony

One of the considerations if fitting one is that its going to hang adequately, often this is in a "U" shape.

Another is that its not going to be rubbed or abraded. This is very likely if there are drawers under the hob.

Tony[/quote]

I agree, but even a rigid pipe is possibly going to be very close to the top drawer and anything in it. If it's like any other drawer, it will be overfull in no time. Lets see what the man says when he sees it, can't be that unusual.

I'm fighting the urge to walk over the way and pull the drawers out from under our hob.... but I'm pretty sure there is enough of a void behind the drawers to accommodate the hose.

However.... that doesn't preclude the contents of the drawers I suppose.

Mine however, is connected to the gas through the wall (utility room on the other side) so the gas pipe comes through the wall 3" so below the bottom of the hob IIRC.

Sponsored Links
I thought the connector is normally right at the back, out of drawer area?

And there's a good point not to use flexible hose, what happen if there's a kitchen knife sticking out of drawer at back and puncture the gas hose as the drawer slam shut.....might happen, never know.

A good gas fitter will route a rigid pipe well out of drawer way.

Daniel.

Yep agree that samsung are one of the market leaders just now they have some fantastic stuff, we too have a Samsung fridge freezer and cant fault it in any way

I have a Samsung flat screen TV in the entrance hall.

what the feck do you guys keep in a kitchen drawer that can eat through an armored hose, but turns its nose up at copper pipe ?

Rats will happily chew through plastic wire and tube.

But even rats draw the line at copper tube!

Me too, got samsung fridge freezer, 1 samsung tv, 1 samsung smart tv, samsung DVD recorder and samsung galaxy s4, thinking about buying washing machine as well.

Agile, why you got a tv in a hall? :LOL:

Daniel.

I only see rats in London.

Rat damage to boilers makes up about 2% of the repairs I go to!

what the f**k do you guys keep in a kitchen drawer that can eat through an armored hose, but turns its nose up at copper pipe ?

You still forget about knifes, they go flying about when kids having a tantrum slam shut drawer and knife goes flying out and slice / nick gas hose.

Daniel.

Sorry ianmcd, I accidentally click "ignore" button instead of quote, it's off. :)

I only see rats in London.

Rat damage to boilers makes up about 2% of the repairs I go to!

Tony I am a mere 50 years old this year and have been in this industry since I was 16 so 34 years and have seen two jobs that were vermin damage, 1 squirrel chewed through a cable in a loft and one field vermin chewed through hep pipe in a static home (I thought it was a caravan but was corrected , had bloody wheels though) I live in the wilds of Scotland where we have to deal with wild Haggis and weegies , do you not think that it is about time you moved ????

Agile, why you got a tv in a hall? :LOL:

Daniel.

My first flat screen was a massive 52" Philips plasma which weighs a ton.

I replaced it with the 46" Samsung LCD but it was a bit small.

Walking past the Sony showroom in Tottenham Court Road they had a 55" LCD at a sale price and so I bought it. That turned out to be the most expensive boiler repair for me! It was actually for a BBC news reporter.

I put the 46" in the entrance hall waiting to take it elsewhere but have not moved it yet.

More of a problem is the Philips plasma. I cannot imagine how I ever got it up the stairs. Called friend to dinner to help me take it down but he decided it was too heavy! But he still ate his dinner! So it has to stay upstairs until I have some strong visitors!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back