Gas hob with drawers underneath, what do the regs say?

I was offered a connector at a well known plumbing supply center that would allow me to adapt my male ended hose to the male elbow on my new gas hob. It was made clear that it was not the proper way to do it. I didn't buy the adaptor, but got me wondering about the correct way.

Most queries are about rubber hose being used when an oven is under the hob, but what if there are drawers under the hob?

OK, no heat source, but not sure about the safety of a hose being in the vacinity of moving drawers.

The install manual says that flexible pipe can be used. That's pipe, not hose?

I've spoken to my plumber, who will have a look at the install site, but has told me that I shouldn't have anything but a rigid copper pipework to my hob.

Is this true? Does this only apply if there is an oven underneath? Why is there an adaptor if it shouldn't be used?

I think these counter rats should be prosecuted for giving unqualified gas advise, as should their employers!! Why as a Gas Safe RGI should we pay a fortune for training & registration, yet these rsoles sell unchecked, gas fittings to the general public. This is just another prime example of this.
As a trade we should boycott any merchant, wholesaler or DIY shed selling any kind of gas fitting to the general public & non qualified cowboys. What's wrong with them simply saying; 'You must show your Gas Safe registration to buy these fittings'.

Sponsored Links
what the f**k do you guys keep in a kitchen drawer that can eat through an armored hose, but turns its nose up at copper pipe ?

You still forget about knifes, they go flying about when kids having a tantrum slam shut drawer and knife goes flying out and slice / nick gas hose.

Daniel.

Sorry ianmcd, I accidentally click "ignore" button instead of quote, it's off. :)

If any of my kids had any kind of tantrum like that, they'd get a whack on the a.rse & sent to their room. We very rarely had to discipline our kids, cause they knew we wouldn't stand for any of that kind of nonsense. Our kids are no longer kids but well adjusted, loving caring adults & a shear pleasure to spend time with. These liberal soft soap parents are a complete PITA & I feel like given the parents a smack when their kids have a tantrum in the Supermarket!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back