Gas hob with drawers underneath, what do the regs say?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was offered a connector at a well known plumbing supply center that would allow me to adapt my male ended hose to the male elbow on my new gas hob. It was made clear that it was not the proper way to do it. I didn't buy the adaptor, but got me wondering about the correct way.

Most queries are about rubber hose being used when an oven is under the hob, but what if there are drawers under the hob?

OK, no heat source, but not sure about the safety of a hose being in the vacinity of moving drawers.

The install manual says that flexible pipe can be used. That's pipe, not hose?

I've spoken to my plumber, who will have a look at the install site, but has told me that I shouldn't have anything but a rigid copper pipework to my hob.

Is this true? Does this only apply if there is an oven underneath? Why is there an adaptor if it shouldn't be used?

Sponsored Links
If your getting your Gas Safe Registered Plumber to do it why do you have an issue with just using a rigid gas pipe?

Gas Regs Say along the lines of no fixed appliance should be connected with a flexible pipe

Although I will add the manufacturers instructions overrule gas regs, so it depends very much how its worded in the instructions. Get it fitted with ridgid copper, no issues that way

Not like the connection to a hob is any kind of special size... standardised sizes is why you "can" adapt almost anything to fit almost anything else! Doesn't always mean that you "should" though!

Sponsored Links
Can't see how the guys at a plumbing merchants would offer you a gas hose unless you ask for one?
Strange, are they psychic 😕

The hose must be fitted to British standards to prevent premature failure.
That would be impossible with drawers under.

@scottishgasman, I have no issue with rigid pipe, I was just asking what the regs say as the manual suggested otherwise? My plumber will be doing the job, so will do what is supposed to be done.

@blakie8, not psychic, I did ask for a hose that would allow connection of my new hob to a bayonet fitting. They didn't have one with a female end, so then offered me the adaptor. Not so strange now is it?

@jeff, the drawers did make me wonder about possible chafing on the hose, but the manual mentions a flexible pipe? Either way, I'm sure the plumber will be adhering to the regs.

@Dan Robinson, RTF first post! Especially the part where I mention what the manual says.:rolleyes:

Thanks to all. ;)

Counter hands at plumbing merchants are unqualified people working at near basic minimum wage!

Gas registered plumbers are trained to fit gas systems according to the current regulations and are paid from £12 per hour if employed, twice the wage of the unqualified counter hands!

Tony

Counter hands at plumbing merchants are unqualified people working at near basic minimum wage!

Gas registered plumbers are trained to fit gas systems according to the current regulations and are paid from £12 per hour if employed, twice the wage of the unqualified counter hands!

Tony

Round our way, we call them Counter Rats ;)

I have seen a hob install that caught me by surprise , it looked like someone had installed it using a braided hose similar to a filling loop hose and when I consulted the MI`s they did in fact state that this was supplied with the hob and may be used, was your hob supplied with any hose ?

Gas registered plumbers are trained to fit gas systems according to the current regulations and are paid from £12 per hour

Why does a boiler service cost so much then? Less than a hours work, no parts to fit? ;)

I have seen a hob install that caught me by surprise , it looked like someone had installed it using a braided hose similar to a filling loop hose and when I consulted the MI`s they did in fact state that this was supplied with the hob and may be used, was your hob supplied with any hose ?

Hi, there were no fittings or hose supplied, just the hob.

My comment wasn't particularly aimed at you OP. But seeing as you feel like being a belligerent smart a7se, why are you even pondering this problem. It is for the qualified installer to worry about not you.

Dan are you sure you didn't mean to reply to a different thread?

Edit: I'm sure a post disappeared on that 'other' thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back