Flexible pan connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have bought a back-to-the-wall toilet and cistern. I've been told by the seller that using a flexible pan connector will make the installation easier.

I'm reading in a few places that these flexible connectors are prone to leaking (going off the comments on the Screwfix website). Is that the case?

Also, I haven't made the hole through the wall to the outside soil stack just yet (if that makes a difference) so do I have to use the flexible connector? If not how can I do the install without it being that the back of the toilet will be up against the wall?

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
p1076802_l.jpg

use one of these :idea:

thanks for that Kev, so the black rubber part gets pushed into my soil pipe going out of the wall? ..and the other end goes on the pan spigot?

Still can't see how I'm gonna have enough space to push the toilet up against the wall and align the pipework... help?! :LOL:

I guess i'm asking what order I should be doing this in - should I push the connector (shown in the picture above) onto the pan spigot, cut a length of soil pipe and push that into the connector, slide the toilet up to the back of the wall ensuring the soil pipe goes through the wall, then make my connection to the soil stack outside?

Thanks

if you core drill the hole in the right place.
the soil pipe will be ridgid so put your pan in place then wiggle it on to the pan connector.
make sure you don't push the whole pipe out through the wall.

Sponsored Links
Ok got it seco services and hey while I have the chance to say...thanks for always answering my barmy questions! :LOL:

Measure twice cut once!!!
Calculate were the pan conector needs to be!
Place the cistern on its back on the floor, measure from floor to centre of fixing holes.
now place WCpan in position with fixing holes the same distance from wall
Mark the centreline of wcpan, measure the height and distance from wall of pan spigot
Remove wcpan
make up and fix soil pipe
Fit pan to soil pipe, and cistern to pan
And remember measure twice cut once

use a flexi
you dont have to measure or cut
they dont leak anymore than a normal pan connector.
plus you can check for leaks before pushing it back to the wall

buck51 good post, and prob the way i would do it but it might be easier for OP to fit pan connector onto pan, then cistern in position on top of pan against wall then simply measure pipe required to come through wall. bingo flexi is lazy way in this instance, i have used them in tenements when im fitting a new close coupled kit and where CI branch comes off at a weird angle

Why do I get the impression the OP wants to fit the toilet on an outside wall with a boxing arrangement. :rolleyes:

buck51 good post, and prob the way i would do it but it might be easier for OP to fit pan connector onto pan, then cistern in position on top of pan against wall then simply measure pipe required to come through wall. bingo flexi is lazy way in this instance, i have used them in tenements when im fitting a new close coupled kit and where CI branch comes off at a weird angle

I disagree, I used a flexi when I fitted my back to the wall toilet to an outside wall and it works well. I would however add the caveat that I selected the flexi and cut the waste so that when pushed back to the wall, the flexi is completely collapsed and pushed hard onto the toilet pan.

It enabled me to check for leaks before I pushed it back to the wall, and it also enables me to move it away from the wall if required in the future without having to disconnect the waste.

dont grease the rubber that the toilet sits in, they pop off if you do just gently ease it in, grease the rubber into the soil though

I used a flexi when I fitted my back to the wall toilet to an outside wall and it works well

Where did you put the cistern.

I would never use a flexible pan connector only as a last resort.

Once you have pushed the pan connector into the soil pipe, don't then pull it back out slightly if you need to adjust the length, as this will disrupt the seals. And can be a reason why some leak.
Instead, pull it back out all the way and then push it back in to the correct distance.

Andy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back