Floating Shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We want to install some chunky kitchen shelves, but we want a clean look without ugly brackets. Does anyone know of a suppier of shelving systems with hidden brackets that can take a heavy load of a kitchen stuff???

I have seen some that slot onto sort of rods that are attached to the wall but I am a bit dubious about their claims of what weight they can take?

Sponsored Links
I know the ones you mean - seen them in Ikea and Homebase and they do have a weight restriction. Cant remember what it is but its not much!

I built my own in the kitchen - timber frame with 6mm plywood top and bottom and a strip of wood across the front to hide the edges of the plywood. They are very strong although they are in an alcove so I could support them on three sides. If you can only support the back of the shelves then you will have to restrict the depth as you will get a lever action which will prise them off the wall.

think your after the Ikea - Wall shelf called - LACK £19.00

yep the ikea ones are fine my mums got some with loads of books on and they seem to hold up fine

Sponsored Links
The Ikea ones are made of veneered plywood only a couple of mil thick and are supported by a cantilever type bracket fixed to the wall. There is a weight restriction on them - cant remember if it was in the catalogue or on the packaging itself.

Depends how heavy the kitchen things are that you want to put on them.

I bought some from B&Q, with a maple finish for £25 each. I have yet to put them up but I'm sure they can hold books etc.

I can get my joiner to make the shelves to match the kitchen he is making but does anyone know where I can buy just the brackets? (Those rod type things that the shelf slides on to.)

what sort of wall are you hanging them on eg plasterboard stud or masonry?

if its masonry you can use threaded rod, chemically fixed into the holes. very cheap and very strong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back