Floating soldier bricks above French doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been redecorating our back room and removed the piece of plastic on top of the French Doors.

The doors are uPVC and were put in several years ago by the previous owner.

Behind the plastic, there is a big gap, leading straight through to outside (or the plastic at the top of the French Doors outside). You can see the light in several places.

The red soldier bricks are not resting on anything and just float above the doors. There does though seem to be a wooden lintel hidden at the top behind the plasterboard.

Is this normal or have they been installed by cowboys? I would have thought the soldier bricks would need to be supported.

The whole door is draughty in the winter as there are small gaps in the seal where the plastic is attached. Also the plaster above and next to the French doors have been damp in places last winter.

From outside, you can see the far right soldier brick is cracked in half and there is a crack running up the wall to the bedroom window above.

Before I get a builder in, is there anybody who can advise if this is something to worry about?

Sponsored Links
I think you should post this on the building section too.

An arched soldier course normally acts as a lintel but yours doesn't extend past the reveals to give it any support. That slipped brick and crack could be quite a tricky problem.

Do you know the company that fitted the doors? It may be worth trying to chase them but unless they feel guilty and offer to help put things right you would probably have to take them to court for the costs and that could be expensive and tricky.

As for the gaps and drafts expanding foam will fill and insulate that but get the soldier course sorted first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back