floor fitting (collapsed floor)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of advice needed please - my floor has collapsed in my en-suite shower room due to a leak and now needs to be replaced. I'm in the process of trying to contract someone to the job but need a heads up in what the job should entail. Please educate me on the removal of the floor and refitting to tensure it is fully level and secured to the floor. In particular I want the know the industry standard of laying the floor whether it is to be screwed, nailed and intervals it is to be fixed at. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Its maybe best to open up the floor as best you can, to see if its just the chipboard that's collapsed or the joists beneath......assuming chipboard has been used, of course! The joists may have survived - maybe not.
Keep the joist spacing the same as original, the replacement is best screwed down.
Is there no damage to the ceiling below?
John :)

thanks for the reply John. The floors been opened and there is no damage to joints or the ceiling downstairs etc.

What should the replacement be? Also what other things do i need to know when getting the floor replaced?

On a side note, this forum is great and the people are also great. I have came across a few numpties whom have tried to fool me. Fortunately they did not succeed due to having received prior education from forum users.
The funny thing this is that tradesmen stated half the people on these forums don't know what there talking about. Obviously that particular tradesmen had never used these such forums.

Sponsored Links
I'm pleased to hear that the joists have survived...presumably the original floor was chipboard?
Either way, the entire room needs to be stripped as far as any floor standing fittings are involved - shower tray, loo, wash hand basin etc.
Once this is done, then decide what floor covering you'd prefer. That can be chipboard again, outdoor quality ply of the same thickness or floor boards.
If you choose chipboard, then go for the 'waterproof' variety - be there such a thing! The secret there is to make doubly sure the floor doesn't get wet again - shower tray seals being the age old culprit.
There shouldn't be any problems with the floor being level - its just replacement being like for like.
If your shower tray is on legs, maybe they can be lowered to allow the tray to drop away from the tiles, but if its a cast one then the bottom layer of tiles will need to go, unfortunately.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back