Floorboards "missing" the joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Forgive what is probably a very basic question - I'm learning the hard way:

Just moved into a my first house - a lovely victorian terrace with original floors throughout. However, we've just discovered a whole section of floorboards (under where the previous owners had their dining table) which seem to be newer and laid separately from the rest of the boards in the room. They run from the wall to about 50cm into the room and while they seem very firmly attached at the wall they don't appear to have any support under the ends so that every time we stand on them the ends bend right down (by about 10mm). What can we do about it? This is an area of heavy traffic and not only is it annoying and creaky I'm also worried about the damage we are doing to the boards.

My original plan was to lift up the boards and then place some sort of support (a piece of hardwood of the correct height) underneath and attach the ends to that. Does this sound feasible? Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
only a thought, so others may have a differnt opinion

do as you say, use joist hangers at each end, or if its close enough screw new support to existing joist

Good to know I'm not barking up the wrong tree.

Right, now how to i get the floorboards up to do that?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back