Floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Just moved into a 1930s semi and wondering what to do with the flooring especially in the livingroom.

I have checked the floorboards and they seem to be in good condition. Severl things are worrying me tho, I am concerned about warmth. This has put me off laminate and such like.

The flooboards seem to be ok but I wonder if they are good enough to be sanded and varnished at all. I can see screws where they are held in place and I wonder how those can ever look nice. I guess they'll damage the sander and also wreck the whole thing or am i misunderstanding the whole process?

They currently look like ordinary wood and I wonder if they'll ever look like they do on TV etc.

Can i get them lightened or a golden brown colour?

I'll leave the rst of the questions for later.

Cheers.

Mavis

Sponsored Links
Is it your intention to have an uncarpeted floor?

Usually floor boards are fixed with nails, not screws, and these can be sunk with a hammer and punch. Probably some of the boards have been lifted, and refixed with screws so that they can be lifted again. Sanding should not really be a problem, apart from the mess it makes. There are plenty of products available for your colouring purpose, any DIY store will have a good selection.

I think laminate floors are a temporary fashion, and carpeted floors will soon be back again.
Laminate floors in my opinion need more maintenance, and are noisy. :)

sandwell said:
I think laminate floors are a temporary fashion, and carpeted floors will soon be back again.
Laminate floors in my opinion need more maintenance, and are noisy. :)
Hmm, don't think carpeted floors are on their way back. Laminated floors (the plastic Melamine, the noisy so-called wooden flooring ;)) are more and more replaced by proper wooden floors, what some call wood-laminated, but we prefer the name wood-engineered floors.
The wooden flooring trend is here to stay, fortunately
party-smiley-027.gif
party-smiley-027.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back