Flourescent light help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a fluorescent strip light in the loft that started going flaky. It stopped firing but manual "jiggling" of the lamp while it was on would make it fire up, but only if i held the bulb in a certain position. I took it apart and looked at all the connections and it all looks good.

I bought a new starter and tried that but i get nothing, now even with the old one back in it does not fire up, even if i move the lamp about a bit.

I have a question about the starter, the one i took out was rated 4-80W.

the new one i bought had specific wattages like 60, 75, 80 , up to 115W

I assumed that if it can handle up to 115, it would work with a 40w bulb, did i assume incorrectly and is this maybe where the problem lies? Will the electronic starters work with any wattage, they are a fiver though?

cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
I don't know much about electronic starters but the one that you bought to replace it should be fine.

Do you have another fitting in the house where you can test the tube?

It's an annoying problem trying to locate where the feed is failing - if a new tube doesn't solve the problem then the break is either within the fitting or in the wire to the fitting.

The one you want is a bog standard switch start 4-65W one. However, it is sounding like a new fitting is probably a better bet, if you pop to your local electrical wholesalers they are not that expensive and come complete with tube and starter.

And if you go to the nice blokes at CEF, they'll sell you a 4 ft for ONLY £36.00 + VAT.

Sponsored Links
That's what City charge our co. for 4fts. Nice work if you can get it, cheeky f@*!%£$.

Think the last 5ft standard switch start fluorescent fitting I got from Rexel Senate wasn't too far from £10, that was without any discount and included the dreaded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back