Flourescent shaving light premanently warm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted a drawstring shaving light in my bathroom about a year ago that is spurred of the mains lighting ring and I have just noticed that at one end (not on the tube) it is always warm whether the light is on or not.

Is this normal or is it faulty?

I thought it may have something to do with the capacitor/starter thing?

It does not effect the light and doesn't seem to change temperature at all, may have always been like that, may just have started.

Any ideas?

Thanks

T

Sponsored Links
Details of the light would help here.

Does it contain a shaver socket? If so bathroom shaver sockets are fed from an isolating transformer and these do get warm in use.

I think they are only energised when the plug is inserted though. If you do have a socket is anything plugged in?

If you don't have a shaver socket, back to the drawing board.

It has a fluoro tube and a shaving socket, Wickes own brand.

I have never used the shaving socket.

My worry is that even when the light is not on, it feels warm. Even when the light hasn't been used all night, in the morning it's warm.

Not hot like it's going to blow up or anything, just warm like a hard drive after it's been on a while?

When stem says in use he means when connected to the mains (I assume he does anyway :) ). The magnetising current flows even without a load. The cheaper the transformer, the hotter it gets. Some of these shaver light/outlets only switch on the shaver socket when the light is on, but then how do you charge your toothbrush?

Sponsored Links
Okey dokey.

I'll assume it's OK at present heat level.

Might look into it further if the plastic starts dripping down the wall.

Thanks for your help.

T

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back