flue in void

Sponsored Links
flues in voids are not at risk until 31 dec 2012, then if no inspection hatches are fitted by that date you can switch the appliance off and label, at the moment they are suggesting co detectors and other safety checks ? whatever they might be.

Picasso and others , you are the gas man you are the responsible person .

Have a look at these videos . I took them . Flues in voids , no hatches no nothing . what ever the guidance says I believe you have to AR based on what I`ve found . Unless you can fully inspect .

Sponsored Links
As it should be installed , four screws per collar & fixed securely, nothing new here appart from doin the job as it should be done.

in my opinion TB008 was brought in because of poor workmanship nothing else, i cant remember the big job that kicked it all off, someone will remind me, but it was a horror story from start to finish, and if the cowboys had installed the flues properly the people would not have been poisoned, and everyone else will now need to pay the price, if people who are qualified and experienced (as they tell me every time they come in for re-assessment) then this type of thing simply wouldnt happen

sorry arfurrr but you cant AR an installation because it has a flue you cant see, if there is some evidence like staining of the ceiling or the co monitor going off then fine label it up and switch it off but you cant break into voids or switch it off just because there might be a dodgy flue hidden away, all we can do at the moment is follow the regs as they stand until 2013 when you can do something about the situation.

sorry arfurrr but you cant AR an installation because it has a flue you cant see, if there is some evidence like staining of the ceiling or the co monitor going off then fine label it up and switch it off but you cant break into voids or switch it off just because there might be a dodgy flue hidden away, all we can do at the moment is follow the regs as they stand until 2013 when you can do something about the situation.

Its my call and i'm AR-ing . In the second video there was no evidence.

I am making my judgement based on what I've found already . I am not prepared to say an installation is NCS where I can't inspect the flue through its entire length .

Its my call and i'm AR-ing . In the second video there was no evidence.

I am making my judgement based on what I've found already . I am not prepared to say an installation is NCS where I can't inspect the flue through its entire length .

As you say its your call but there is a down side to AR ing something with no evidence, lets take a hypothetical situation, say you do landlords cert and find a flue in the ceiling, you AR and switch it off (no evidence of distress and CO detector fitted) the tenant freaks thinking they might die and demand to be put up in an hotel until the "dangerous " boiler is fixed,

the landlord gets a second opinion and they say the installation is NCS until the regs change in 2013, you could find your self landed with a hefty bill from the landlord , as you say your the engineer on site but a blanket AR on every flue you cant check could backfire on you.

The evidence is my first and second video , I tell the landlord to watch the video , then ask him how on earth I am supposed to NCS his boiler when I can`t inspect the flue through its entire length .

Boilers have been fitted by unregistered muppets and registered muppets for years . People have been signing off work left right and centre without checking .

In the second video , where the flue has no brackets , taped joints , incorrect jointing methods , missing screws , do you think a gas installer has fitted this flue ?

I don`t and I would hope they haven`t , BUT they may have and the evidence shows they are out there , you only have to look at the Bedfont Lakes death as evidence (currently passing through the courts).

As for hefty bills for hotel etc etc , the landlords would have to show they kept there costs to a minimum . I complete LLGS and AR it , the same day they just ring another gas installer and get them to check it . Simples .

I am not prepared to put myself at risk or the reputable landlords I deal with . If a landlords want to put themselves at risk they can get someone else to carryout a gas safety . Send you number and I`ll pass it on .

comes back to the same thing, you cant AR an installation because you feel like it, you are leaving your self open to a hefty claim from a landlord that might not be as scruplious as you think, as I already said your the guy on site, do what best for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back