Flue sited through lintel...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
had a recent new installation of a boiler by a registered person. Had a couple of leaks after they had left. They returned to fix the following day but again the leaks persisted so I called a plumber. He came, really fixed the leaks so thought all was good until he pointed out the flue has been sited by driving it through the lintel above the window. Is this ok??? If not what do I do next? He also said he doubts the positioning is far enough from the window. All advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Phone up Gas safe and get a free inspection...you'll probably have top wait a while though.
Post a few pics..

Thanks for your advice. I shall look them up. Ive put a picture up of the flue siting.

Attachments

• 990DD7C7-94DB-4A19-9D25-E7E0327F632E.jpeg
    990DD7C7-94DB-4A19-9D25-E7E0327F632E.jpeg
    257.7 KB · Views: 194
Sponsored Links
Not great pics but I’m not good with technology

Attachments

• B7947E49-865F-48D4-A212-0A65640EA3A0.jpeg
    B7947E49-865F-48D4-A212-0A65640EA3A0.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 00AF0370-84A9-42BD-A6FB-08561E3E6109.jpeg
    00AF0370-84A9-42BD-A6FB-08561E3E6109.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 178
What make/model boiler is it please? That flue may be incorrect in other ways too... As GasGuru says, call Gas Safe for a free inspection. I suspect they will say the flue is both too close to the gutter and too close to your window, as well as affecting the structural integrity of your house by cutting through a lintel. Depending on the make/model, they may also pull your installer up on having the white part of the flue showing externally. They can force your installer to correct any issues found at their cost, on pain of having their license revoked if they fail to do so. This does of course assume that your installer was Gas Safe Registered!

Last edited:
Lolalola Your lintel query would be better answered in the 'building forum' some experts there :cautious:

Was there a boiler flue previously in that position :?:

Thank you for replies. There was no boiler as they removed a back boiler. The boiler now fitted is a Baxi 630. The fitters were Gas Safe registered and I am concerned for the gas connections as the plumbing ones were so dodgy! To top it off now one of the radiators is not working and the end of the white down spout, that they replaced as they drilled through it, has been put on facing outwards from the drain it sits right above so now when it rains it washes down the yard and runs out the gate

OK in that case you're fine for clearance to the downpipe, but it looks to me very much like the flue is less than the required 300mm from your window, and Baxi do not permit any white part of the flue to be on show outside, so that's two faults right there. If you want a free Gas Safe inspection, go to the Gas Safe Website

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back