Flue test point. Is this safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hopefully someone can give me some advice.
A piece of silicon has fallen from top of my Glow Worm 38cxi combi boiler and looking online this appears to have covered the flu test point. I have posted some images below.
Is it safe to continue use of boiler? The boiler was serviced in November so would the engineer have used an analysis probe in this test point?

Thanks for any help!

1E8ED694-FD7B-417C-B70B-8FF09E4DAA33.jpeg 53284269-CC07-4398-BB3A-3A1C1168577C.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your swift reply. I’ve turned off. It’s my 81 year old mum’s house so I’ll need to get some oil filled rads in to keep her toasty.

Sponsored Links
Some servicing engineer has probably done that. Absolutely shocking!!

That's why it's really key, especially with older people that a CO detector is installed above the boiler. Even one just placed on the top of the boiler would be better than nothing.

Is that because "older people" are more susceptible to Carbon Monoxide or more susceptible to harm from incompetent service "engineers" ?

Maybe the term 'older people' wasn't the PC term to use but it was coined in the context of an 81 year old lady. I wouldn't say either though, more so because 'older people' may be less likely to spot issues like that and if they do they may not realise that it's a cause for concern, hence it was the persons son that spotted it and not the lady herself.

Are people in their 80's more susceptible to CO poisoning, possibly (heath condition depending it could take less CO concentrations to cause major issues). Do older people fall pray to unscrupulous engineers, of course they do but would it be any more so than anyone else that wouldn't know what's safe and what isn't when it comes to boilers? Not so sure about that.

My main concern is that I own the flat flat that she lives in, I am therefore legally her landlord and have since ownership had a reputable gas safe engineer annually service the boiler, carry out a gas safety check and issue a landlords certificate. Now I have to approach the engineer to resolve and question what I have been paying for for the past few years.

Definitely need a chat with them ..... if you have had a GSR engineer in over the last few years to service the boiler and they have left it like that then either they are totally inept and didn't actually service it or they lost the cap in the first place and didn't replace it and jammed some silicone in there ..... either or they aren't reputable.

They certainly wouldnt be doing any more work for me , if it was my place, I know a bloke who was RIDDORed and instantly dismissed for doing exactly the same, fortunately it activated the CO Detector, and another engineer was called out

At this stage I wouldn't talk to the gas "engineer"....go straight to Gas-Safe and ask for an inspection, it's free.
If he's issuing LGSRs with such basic faults he needs looking into.
In the meantime get another flue cap.

Now I have to approach the engineer to resolve and question what I have been paying for for the past few years.

Don't hold back, I would have a right go at him/her. Either they have not being doing the proper service, or have not done it for a few years, judging by the state of that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back