Flue, water leak in boiler after heavy rain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed a water leak in the combi boiler today, after heavy rain last night.
I took a grommet out from under the boiler, and about a mug full of water came out.:oops:
Think it's running down the inside of the casing.

Upon inspection, my flue is running downhill back to boiler, but I suspect the rain is getting into the air input part of the flue.

I see blocked condensate could be a culprit, but mine seems clear. Also there is silicon around the external part of the flue, it seems water tight.

Is something like this worth fitting? or would a basket be better, or do I need to take another course of action?

Plastic Rain guard

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You’d need to consult with the boiler instructions to ascertain if that product can be installed, eg clearance. If the flue is running back in itself, then yes, driving rain or rain at an angle to the flue can enter the air intake part of the flue - I’ve come across this situation myself. You need to find out if the inner flue requires a backfall, or if it has one built in.

Can you provide any photos? What make/model of boiler?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies all so far.

It's an intergas boiler... Rapid 32.

I'll have a check of the guttering, it's strange as not had this problem before.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
It appears that the flue in my boiler needs installing level and has 3° rise it already.

I unscrewed the internal nut for the probe and looked inside, the flue looks tilted a lot more than 3° (back to the boiler) to me.
Strange how have not had issues before. Will check the gutters today, as getting a downpour later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back