fluorescent advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m gonna replace a couple of loop-in ceiling rose lights with fluorescent tube lights in my kitchen. Do you have any tips or is there anything to watch out for? Presumably I will need to just join the loop-in live/neutrals/earths in choc-block and have a piece of 1.5mm T+cpc from the choc-block to the fitting? I have not bought the fittings yet. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
As long as the choc-blocs are accessible. I.e. be able to go through the hole in the ceiling.

Thanks Luminaire. Presumbaly this is the least-disruptive / most practical method to use?

Sponsored Links
Ahemm, yes, of course. Well, actually i meant the terminal block, but that's not suitable presumably?

No chocolate blocks, not box!

Like this

21168501.jpg

Bring all the cables into the flourescent, and extend which ones as required with terminal blocks.

...So which is the best?:
a) choc block inserted in ceiling.
b) choc block inserted in the fitting. (cables may not be long enough)
c) choc BOX enclosure inserted in ceiling.

You should not use chock block without enclosing it in something.

If you can you should put it inside the fitting, flourescent fittings usually have plenty of room. Failing that enclose it in a chockbox before pushing it up into the ceiling void.

Why not extend the two cables going into the fitting with crimped connections (using correct crimps and crimping tool)
Crimped connections are easier to push back into the ceiling hole.

.....but would still need to be enclosed

Why not extend the cables within the fitting if they will not reach :rolleyes:

...So, choc BLOCK inside the fitting is acceptable as the fitting is classed as an enclosure?
RF - extending the cable inside the fitting basically means using choc block and then putting the fitting over the block (as in my experience there will no slack to pull the block away from the ceiling to insert into the fitting.
You say above that crimped & shrink-wrapped wires would still need to be enclosed. Is this correct?

I would prefer to see a small 2 or 4 way CU fed from the existing CU on a 32 or 40amp MCB...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back