Fluorescent ballast bypass for Philips LED tubes - Query

We should look at lux levels, not lumens.
Quite so. As I wrote ..
As I've often said, whenever I have replaced fluorescent tubes with LED ones of the same length (hence around half the "lumens", I have always found that, at least perception-wise, the illumination is at least as good ('bright') as with the fluorescent. This may in part be due to the fact that the light radiation from an LED tube is far more directional.

Yes LED tubes often don't produce as many lumens as a traditional tube, but the lux on the ground may well be the same or similar. A modern 5ft ~20w led tube will nearly always be more than bright enough to replace a 5ft 58w traditional tube
As above, that has certainly always been my experience.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
We should look at lux levels, not lumens.
Yes LED tubes often don't produce as many lumens as a traditional tube, but the lux on the ground may well be the same or similar. A modern 5ft ~20w led tube will nearly always be more than bright enough to replace a 5ft 58w traditional tube
I have to disagree, A workshop where I used to build control panels had LED fitting installed on a one for one replacement basis, the old beyond it fluo fittings were dumped in the metal scrap bin, however one by one the staff recovered them and hung them from the suspended ceiling with cable ties, wire offcuts etc until nearly all were re-installed. The fitting themselves looked bright, in truth dazzling but actually dingy at lighting the work and the multiple shadows into confined spaces is terrible, in another workshop the suspended ceiling was replaced and the 4x 40W flou panels were replaced with LED panels, the same thing happened.
We have replaced hundreds of fluo fittings in commercial properties and in a number of those we have been called back to provide new flou fittings.

Sponsored Links
...and an interesting sidenote to me :)
Nice photometry diagram from the datasheet, showing the blue LED at 450nm and the phosphor emmisions providing the 'white' light output.

Screenshot_20220701-101729_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Edit: blimey I'm slow - that means it's still a fluorescent tube! ;)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back