Focus 58 washer motor not working - replace or could it be something else?

RJN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ford Focus 2008 been parked up for a week in airport car park. On return washer motor not working. Wipers work fine, checked fuse that's OK.

Is it obviously washer motor? Or should I check other things before buying a new motor (£60+)?

If it is motor, is it easy(ish) to replace?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Does the pump motor work on the rear screen, or not at all? If there's no life at all then there's a good chance the pump is kaput.....they normally plug into the bottom of the washer bottle.
Why not try a motor factor for a replacement? Much cheaper than the dealer part!
John :)

Thanks John, no life at all so yes I'll try get a non-dealer one, quoted over £80!

I hope I'm close.....you could check for a voltage at the pump connector (column switch depressed) before jumping in - or conjuring up a 12v supply and feeding the pump with that, if you want!
John :)

Sponsored Links
The washer pump wiring on my 07 Focus went just after I bought it about 6 years ago, and the pump packed in last month, so I've done this job twice.

Aftermarket replacement pumps can be had from online auction sites for no more than a tenner; no need to pay any more than that.

Access is achieved by removing the front offside wheel and wheel arch liner, then removing the washer reservoir from under the arch. It's held on by three bolts: the top one is in the engine compartment next to the washer filler cap under a small plastic panel, and the other two bolts are under the arch. The tubes to the jets are routed through grooves cut in the side of the reservoir, and its probably best to take a photo of the tube orientation before you dismantle anything. Replacing the pump is merely a matter of removing the two tubes and pulling the pump out of the connection on the reservoir, then connecting the tubes to the new pump and pushing it back into the aperture; should be a tight fit.

Even if it turns out that the problem is with the wiring, the pumps are so cheap that you might as well fit a replacement whilst you have everything apart. The wiring can become corroded through water ingress under the arch, and its a simple job to cut back to clean metal and reconnect the wiring using plastic blocks then wrapping them in insulating tape so that they stay dry.

Putting the pump and bottle back is fairly straightforward, though lining up the reservoir with the filler neck inside the engine compartment can be awkward. However, its all doable for a DIYer.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back