Fog/Moist buildup on car windscreen during rainy days

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cleaning my car windscreen with soap and water does not seem to prevent moist build-up on my windscreen during rainy days. I at times switch on the aircon or the heater to clear up the moist/fog on the inside but would build up again almost immidiately thereafter.

Any idea on what i could use to prevent or ****** the latter?

Sponsored Links
The most common reason for misty windows is that the driver has left the heater/air con on Recycle not fresh Air.

The result is that all the existing moisture, plus whatever you are breathing, sweating or evaporating from your wet clothes, is blown round and round the car.

Setting the heater to "fresh air in" and turning on the blower will suck in air from outside, which will cause the damp air from inside the car to be pushed out. Even on a rainy day, the cool air outside wil be drier than your warm, humid car. You can run the heater blower without using Air Con or the "Hot" setting.

I often see lunatics with misty windows in wet or frosty weather :rolleyes: because they don't know.

Another possible cause is a bad water leak. this can be down the windows and leaking inside the doors. However the blower will push out the damp air as long as it is not on Recycle.

p.s.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2YuQhD96fTs

Sponsored Links
Another possibility is where the car has a pollen filter and it is getting clogged. Moisture settles there and as soon as the fan is turned on the screen mists up.

This can also be caused by the a/c drain being blocked and a pool of water is left in the ducting, or even worse, it overflows onto the passenger footwell carpet, thus leaving lots of moisture in the car to cause misting.

However the blower will push out the damp air as long as it is not on Recycle.

This is assuming that all vents, especially the ones usually located behind rear bumpers are free from debris and not blocked, prob more so on hatchback/estate cars ;)

Back