foggy picture on Hikvision Dome camera

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm experiencing an appalling picture on my external cameras during darkness and diagnosed it as IR Bleed based on my trawl of forums.

I then embarked on pulling the so-called foam tight and against the glass of the Dome. But I only see a tiny bit of sponge which is fixed to the lens. Incidentally, there is a gap between this and the dome but I can't move it around.

help please.

Attachments

• dome.jpg
    dome.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 272
Sponsored Links
Either the dome glass/plastic requires cleaning or it has previously been cleaned and scratched.

Always use a microfibre cloth when cleaning.

Does that explain the foggy picture at night time?
I will be cleaning irrespective but are you suggesting that I disregard the foam adjustment and the stuff on IR bleeding through to the lens?

Does that explain the foggy picture at night time?
I suspect so yes.
I will be cleaning irrespective but are you suggesting that I disregard the foam adjustment and the stuff on IR bleeding through to the lens?
The foam thing may help a little but i doubt it is the cause.

Best if you can post a screenshot. If the weather forecast is fine maybe try the camera at night without the plastic dome cover.

Sponsored Links
Does it look like below? If so, then you IR bleed and will need to sort out the foam blocker or replace.

IR_Bleed_Troubleshooting.jpg

it's like that picture but alot worse. Will send some updates tonight.

if it is IR bleed, what do I do with the small amount of foam I have in there?

it's like that picture but alot worse. Will send some updates tonight.

if it is IR bleed, what do I do with the small amount of foam I have in there?

The foam is there to protect the lens from the IR illuminators. You'll need to ensure it's clean with not misshapen, no dints or bits missing. When re-assembling ensure it's seated squarely and that the glass is a snug fit all the way round.

If you get nowhere you'd be better off buying a higher spec camera as they separate the lens properly.

The foam sits on the base correctly but isn't thick enough to reach the glass of the dome. I only brought these Hikvision dome cameras 4 months ago!

Hi,

Here's the picture I am getting on my external camera this evening. I haven't cleaned yet as it's been tipping it down all day.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_0234.JPG
    IMG_0234.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 278
Never use this type of camera for external use ....the sun will also bleach the cover over time so your wasting your time ....ok for internal as long as the lens is not scratched

Agreed with above, the slightest mark on the dome bubble will reflect the infra red at night time even if you do manage to adjust the foam properly. I'd recommend the turret style cameras for external use.

Hi,

Here's the picture I am getting on my external camera this evening. I haven't cleaned yet as it's been tipping it down all day.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Looks like rain has dried on the cover causing the ir to reflect. Glass cleaner with microfibre cloth. Might also be worth gently wiping the lens itself.

Last edited:
A clean has helped but the picture is still not great. Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0238.PNG
    IMG_0238.PNG
    767.4 KB · Views: 269
Replace with a camera that isn't badly designed. Dome cameras with IR LEDs inside the dome are always going to be prone to this failure.

You could get some material yourself and replace the foam if you're desperate to salvage it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back