FOOKING IKEA sink instructions are wrong..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
put a sink in my worktop today...cut the hole perfectly with my jigsaw..read instructions several times before i took on the job...anyway i measured around the sink as per instructions..then it said measue 10mm in from the outline i made for the sink..done that...cut out the hole and now its just about rest about 3mm allround the worktop...WTF...i thought....any solution or advise...?..i was thinking of putting some battons around the cut ie around 8mm x 25mm to reduce the gap...what you guiys think ?...in the instructions it said "10mm (2/4").... ???????..which 2/4" is the same as half inch...12.5mm,...just as well i didnt go the 12.5mm..as the sink would have dropped through..

Sponsored Links
Did you cut from above or below worktop, what with? 10mm in from edge of sink would leave 10mm overhang all round if you have 3mm you marked or cut incorrectly.You said you measured sink? you use sink as a template or a cardboard template is included , no measuring required. :?:

Did you cut from above or below worktop, what with? 10mm in from edge of sink would leave 10mm overhang all round if you have 3mm you marked or cut incorrectly.You said you measured sink? you use sink as a template or a cardboard template is included , no measuring required. :?:

cut from above, with jigsaw...put sink upside down on worktop...drew the outline...measured 10mm in from the outline as the instructions said.....and then cut the hole...used the sink as a template as there was no card template...ive done sinks before, never had any problem..measurements were correct...THIS is the sink below ..its an insert sink..

here are the instructions...click on the "download assembly instructions"

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S09897225/

If you have only 3mm all the way round , then I can only assume it's down to "Operator Error." ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
If you have only 3mm all the way round , then I can only assume it's down to "Operator Error." ;) ;) ;)
can you explain how its my error if i followed the manufacturers instruction as detailed in the above post containing the link for "installation instructions"

anyway looks like i have to improvise something so that it is seated securely and sealed....lol.

Your post makes somewhat limited sense.

If you measured in 12.5mm instead of 10mm, you would have 2.5mm more worktop to rest on, not 2.5mm less.

If you measured in 12.5mm instead of 10mm, you would have 2.5mm more worktop to rest on, not 2.5mm less.
yes sorry thats what i meant to say...would have had 2.5mm more, but still would have not been enough for such a heavy sink.....lol, anyway...can someone tell me if the fitting instructions are right or wrong....?...im convinced that they are wrong...lol...gonna phone ikea tommorow...******s....ruined my fooking worktop...

yes sorry thats what i meant to say...would have had 2.5mm more, but still would have not been enough for such a heavy sink.....lol, anyway...can someone tell me if the fitting instructions are right or wrong....?...im convinced that they are wrong...lol...gonna phone ikea tommorow...****....ruined my fooking worktop...

They can't be wrong.

If you cut 10mm in from the outline of the sink, then there will be 10mm of material for the sink to rest on. It cannot be any other way.

This has got to be a wind up...............

The amazing shrinking sink perhaps!

All I can think of is that when you marked it, you've actually marked all the way round the sink + the thickness of the pencil/marker you used. I'd have angled the pencil in towards the sink slightly to take account of the thickness of the pencil. ;) ;)

All I can think of is that when you marked it, you've actually marked all the way round the sink + the thickness of the pencil/marker you used. I'd have angled the pencil in towards the sink slightly to take account of the thickness of the pencil. ;) ;)

I'll second that!

Just viewed the instructions - look fine to me.

Recon you'll get away with 3mm myself, remember to seal the cut edges with silicone or similar, seen "plumbers" do a lot worse.

Steve

yes my thoughts pencil line cutting wrong side off the line sink moving slightly

i would go for adding 9mm ply around the rim and nibbling the the odd area its tight

Ok so you cut it wrong size, for whatever reason.
Now
Fix a bead on the inside of the cutout, this will give more support for the sink.
We all make mistakes, its how we get out of the hole.

I was choppin wood once, I had nice thick gloves on, I still chopped through my Fin finger. Thats a mistake.

How many sparkies have a shock.

used a bit of ply all round..worked out ok in the end...thanks guys...next time ill buy british.....lol :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back