Footing to drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The left side is the bungalow and the right side is the precast garage. From the bungalow to the centre of the drain pipes is 680mm, when the garage is demolish what is the minimum distance for the new build footing can go to the drain pipe which is 1.2m deep? The drain pipe runs parallel

Sponsored Links
There is no minimum distance, but where within 1m horizontally of a drain, the footing should go down to at least the depth of the invert of the drain.

There is no minimum distance, but where within 1m horizontally of a drain, the footing should go down to at least the depth of the invert of the drain.
Okay, I've been told it's a shared drains 3-4 properties, it's about 80 years old made of clay pipe so should there be clearance room for pea shingles expansion near the footing? I think I might dig the footing by hand rather than a digger with the weight above and vibration. If I damaged the pipe, is it the responiblilty of the water company as it's a shared drain to repair it?

If it is shared then you'll need a build over agreement with your local water authority. Even though you aren't building over you are within the distance that they will want to check it out before you start and make you pay for the pleasure.

Sponsored Links
If I damaged the pipe, is it the responiblilty of the water company as it's a shared drain to repair it?
Common sense says that if that happened they would repair it and make you pay. Check your liability insurance, or sub that bit to a groundworks contractor.

If I damaged the pipe, is it the responiblilty of the water company as it's a shared drain to repair it?
Common sense says that if that happened they would repair it and make you pay. Check your liability insurance, or sub that bit to a groundworks contractor.
Yes and an important one too, if the plans are granted then I will get the self-builder public liability insurance around £5,000,000

If it is shared then you'll need a build over agreement with your local water authority. Even though you aren't building over you are within the distance that they will want to check it out before you start and make you pay for the pleasure.
Have sent them the email with the details, if it's not possible will the drain pipe have to be re-routed under the new build :?:

The latest is that the sewer is only shared by 1 neighbours, my architect suggested it would be better if we could move the inspection chamber, at the moment, it's just one toilet and bath waste into a Y branch, I can't see how this can be taken out because of the rodding in the future or is there a way round this?

At the end of the day, if this is not possible, can the new sewer pipe go through or under the new build footing?

I've been looking into this sort of thing, because of a mooted extension.

I'm sure it will vary from one company to the next, but Thames Water no longer allow new-build detached buildings to go over drains.

I'm sure it will vary from one company to the next, but Thames Water no longer allow new-build detached buildings to go over drains.
I'm with Anglia Water and here's their reply,

Thank you for your email.

Please provide a scaled layout drawing showing the proposals in relation to the public sewer.

In the meantime, you can find information on building over or near to the public sewer at www.anglianwater.co.uk/developers[/i]

Have sent them the drawing details below and see what they recommend.

New build footing plan highlighted in red

What I meant was (and you've seen my topic, so you know why) have you checked that the chamber doesn't extend beyond the limits of the cover.

What I meant was (and you've seen my topic, so you know why) have you checked that the chamber doesn't extend beyond the limits of the cover.
Yes sorry what I meant was, the lid cover is in the centre of the chamber correctly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back