1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Rain water drain question

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by LeeST, 30 Aug 2019.

1. LeeST

LeeST

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

I had what could be described as a lean to on the back of the house. Was part of the original house. The water off the house roof was fed onto this little roof which then was fed Into what I assume is surface water drain to the left hand side.

I have now had an extension built onto this lean to. So the lean to roof has come off and replaced with a normal pitched roof (so runs the other way if that makes sense). So the water off the left hand side of the roof goes into the original drain. The water off the right hand side has been fed with a drain pipe so it enters the foul drain under the kitchen window.

Is this even allowed or is it going to cause me a problem when the building control guy comes to approve the completion. (99% completed now)

Cheers

2. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No. You should use the original rain water drain.

3. LeeST

LeeST

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That was my thinking after reading up.

The thing is, one side of the new roof can go in the existing surface drain, the water off the other side cannot now, guttering and drain pipes can’t be routed round to the other side.

They probably should have been put underground before the build started and joined underneath but they never was.

What can building control really do now?

4. acurachris

acurachris

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    o_O Not sign the build off until it's put right?

5. Tigercubrider

Tigercubrider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Did the original roof drain to a soak away?
    Once you use the drainage system, they can charge you more

I do not pay for rain water disposal (Thames water) because we have soak aways

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It will cause you problems if they spot it and it is illegal, the water authority can summons you. Foul water goes away for treatment, surface water goes into rivers and streams, so you will be adding to the cost of treating water which doesn't need to be treated.

If a builder did the work, get them back to rectify it at their cost.

7. LeeST

LeeST

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ok well I guess I knew they could refuse to sign it off. Just kind of wondering what my options are now. Or the builders more to the point. Either means lots of digging round the extension to route it back to where it was originally or is a water but an option?

Most the water goes back to the original drain. It’s just the additional if you like that doesn’t.

Pictures added. Water originally ran to the left hand side as you look the lean to. Left hand side still does. Right hand side has nowhere to go.

Attached Files:

8. Tigercubrider

Tigercubrider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Get the builder back as it's his fault.
    He could fit a water butt
    Problem solved

9. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The water butt would rapidly fill up and need constant emptying and probably need an overflow adding, where would that drain to?

It needs to be done properly.

10. LeeST

LeeST

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ok just calculated how much water actually comes off the roof..... water butt not a great idea

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Tigercubrider

Tigercubrider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Connect it to a leaky hose

• Like Like x 1
  12. Leofric

Leofric

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can only connect rainwater to a foul drain (via a trapped gulley) if it is a combined foul and surface water drainage system . Is it a separate or combined drainage system :?:
    Why can't drains be routed around the extension to connect to the existing surface water drain :?:

13. LeeST

LeeST

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

I assume it’s separate as the house was built in 97 and I can’t see anywhere where the rainwater connects to the foul water. I have a couple of manholes but can trace them only to the house waste. The drain pipes have some ridding points but looks like these just go off to the road.

Drains will have to be routed round the extension underground. That was my concern. This thing has been a nightmare from the beginning and the thought of having the builder back to do more work fills me with dread.

Can surface water drains be quite close to the house underground or do they have to be a certain distance away from foundations? It’s all quite close to my neighbours fence you see

14. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  15. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Roof drainage calculator -- on Google -- then you'll know the max. amount of water likely on the RH roof. Then you could put a soakaway in your garden of adequate size using crates, if the ground percolation test is OK. A bit of working out - and a butt in the layout is always useful anyway.