For the MI / PYRO lovers out there...

Sponsored Links
I'd be concerned about the safety and useability of a woodburner if it got so hot that metres away from it buried PVC cables were at risk.

I cannot conceive of any other reason why anybody would ever go for surface mounted cable (of any sort) and surface mounted metal accessories, on the walls of a domestic living room, in preference to concealed cables and flush accessories.

Sponsored Links
That metal clad spur ontop of the blank plate looks ugly IMO

I cannot conceive of any other reason why anybody would ever go for surface mounted cable (of any sort) and surface mounted metal accessories, on the walls of a domestic living room, in preference to concealed cables and flush accessories.

Because the customer didn't want the wall chased out 2 days before Christmas.

The PVC cables dropping to the old socket have been in at least ten yrs and meggered at 500M. They are under a good inch of render.

That metal clad spur ontop of the blank plate looks ugly IMO

In my opinion it looks fine especially as she said she has a bigger log basket to go there which will hide it anyway, that's half the reason I did it like that.

Flyingsparks, what did you expect :LOL:

You put your head above the parapet !!!!!!

Have a Merry Christmas, maybe santa will bring a feed down the chimney.

Regards,

DS

Because the customer didn't want the wall chased out 2 days before Christmas.
That's quite understandable. Unlike agreeing to a permanent solution of surface cabling and a surface accessory bolted to a blanking plate instead of a temporary bit of surface trunking and a return in the New Year to do it with nothing on the surface.

The PVC cables dropping to the old socket have been in at least ten yrs and meggered at 500M. They are under a good inch of render.
And they couldn't be reused?

I would have preferred a FCU without a blanked off flex outlet.

If that's a socket circuit, how are the lights switched?

I would have preferred a FCU without a blanked off flex outlet.
I guess the socket circuit is the supply to the FCU, and the load is the lights, via the pyro cable.

If that's a socket circuit, how are the lights switched?
Properly, I'm sure.

Flyingsparks has done a neat job - I only hope that when I get round to doing some pyro work I can do half as good a job. I admit that I originally thought the installation of pyro like that was his idea, not what he had little choice over given the requirements of a barking mad client.

Nice work flyingsparks :) have you used it much before? It's a dying art form and I for one am glad someone else is keeping the skill alive.

Well atleast there is some positivity! :LOL:

The fuse spur takes a feed from the ring. There is a metal clad light switch you can't see on the inside of the oak beam where the pyro terminates.

Rf- I helped wire a church in it as an apprentice about ten yrs ago. I love the stuff but haven't used it much since then. Any chance of using it I will if he budget and circumstances allow. I bought the tools off eBay a few yrs ago as I was adamant I would do more pyro work! The pyro itself is stuff I ripped out at a school and replaced with fP200 when I installed a new fire alarm system when working for the old firm I worked for. (Criminal I know but that's what the council wanted us to do. :rolleyes: )

If you haven't already got one, buy a pyro straightening roller. You'll have to get it off eBay as I don't think they make them anymore. It makes the difference between a functional job and a properly dressed job you can be proud of.

You can spend hours trying to get pyro straight and true with just a hammer and a scrap of wood or a couple of mins with a roller and and then dress it in to it's final place with a hammer and bit of wood, but it just takes practice. There's no short cut to it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back