Pyro

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Proberly obvious but does pyro outer sheath need to be earthed, I think it does.

I was asked to look at two plastic spot lights mounted on metal besa boxes supplied in pyro.
All it was, was the bulbs blown and he had no spares, so I checked the voltage at the holder.
As it was ES I also checked centre pin to the pyro gland and nothing.
Informed the manager and we sent in a report to locate the source.

Went there to do another job and manager said that someone had been to do a test and said I was talking rubbish as the lights are plastic and do not require earth.
Am I missing something, hope not.

Sponsored Links
Yes it definatly does.

Should the cable ever get damaged or the insulation start to break down, it relies on the sheath being earthed to clear the fault. If not, the sheath and everything connected to it could come live.

Besides, EVERY lighting point* should have an earth connection to it regardless of what type of light fitting it supplies, or what type of cable it is supplied in.

*BS7671 specifically exempts insulated lampholders on a flex drop

Thanks,done enough pyro in the past, so knew really.
To shut the manager up I checked and found another box where the
T + E fed it, the earth was blatantly cut off.

Kids today, proberly thought it was FP.
I would always earth on to the besa boxes with FP anyway,or continue the earth to the point, but find a lot of people do not and cut it off. :eek:

Bit worrying as the whole point of the other bloke was to test things were safe.
Like RF said elsewhere, just because he had all the fancy test gear and testing qualifications, he lacked knowledge in other areas.
As they say, "He talked a good job", so he made me look a fool by saying what he did.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I've had the same. It's grim.

I condemned an installation by a spark.

He said there was nothing wrong with it, certified & notified.

Customer complained.

My QS called in.

My integrity called into question.

QS agrees with me.

Spark reported to trade body and BCO.

Horrible experience. :cry:

We took over the PIR's on a village hall.

On the first years test we found no earth to the lighting circuit. This was wired in pyro. The consumer units had been changed at some point and the pyro glands where simly tucked into the new moulded consumer unit. I assume the moulded consumer unit replaced an old metal clad.

We obviously gave the PIR an unsatisfactory result and got permission to sort it out. There were discussions as to why this had never been picked up before, and looking at the previous reports, there where readings for the circuits.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back