Pyro cable in pub?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am helping with some work in a pub at the moment and have found rather a lot of (poorly installed) pyro cable.

A bit of googling seems to suggest this was at one point required. Can anyone please tell me if this is still the case? Why was it ever the case? I can understand pyro for emergency lights and fire alarms, but why for sockets?

Sponsored Links
Not sure.

Is it surface run?

Is on beams and brickwork where it could blend in better than other wiring?

Is the pub very old, perhaps thatched or listed etc?

How old does the installation seem?

Some breweries used to specify pyro for the supply to the cellar cooling. Could never understand why.

Not sure.

Is it surface run?

Is on beams and brickwork where it could blend in better than other wiring?

Is the pub very old, perhaps thatched or listed etc?

How old does the installation seem?

Hi,

It's mostly chased into the wall, but some of it was just free hanging under cabinets and seating - not clipped to anything (hence 'poorly installed' :D)

Not on beams or brickwork.

Pub is not thatched/listed.

It's hard to say how old the installation is as it's an absolute mish-mash, at a wild guess I'd say maybe 80s, since I know the seating I found it under wasn't installed until then.

Presumably there's no legal requirement for it, then, and T&E would do just as well to extend the circuit?

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There was a load at a pub I was working at recently. Imperial sized, with the disc seals with the little sleeve wedges. The MI was smartly installed, to a load of nice Coughtree bulkheads. Shame the rest of the pub was a dump.

In the past, amongst other things, pyro was specified, due to its increased safety over other cable types, mainly if the premises needed a music and dance license, presumably for safety due to increased amounts of people occupying the premises, since then rules are relaxed, but its more down to what the local council want to issue a license, a lot want RCDs for the dj/band sockets.

as for emergency lights, pyro was mainly the norm for Maintained and remote battery type systems, before the advent of self contained systems, in fact with non maintained systems a cable burning through would in fact put the light on and possibly assist someones escape.

regarding fire systems, I think the pyro was more important for the bell lines rather than the detecter lines, which i recall could be done in pvc singles Bs standards altered and pyro, then Fp become the standard.

Last edited:
That's just it, the brewery specified it for just the cellar circuits, feck all else. Even then, it was just playing the feed to the cellar. Pointless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back