Forced marriages

"surely there's enough of them?" too bloody many! I'm all for letting em marry abroad just don't let them back in.

Sponsored Links
When they take their kid/s over there for an arranged marriage, the kid usually comes back to the UK and their husband/wife is usually allowed in. Effectively sidestepping immigration laws

On return to the UK thay only have to report that they were forced into marriage. UK law doesn't recognise forced marriages - or any other arrangements made under duress.

Hubby then gets kicked out back where he belongs, and wifey + kids settle into a nice life on benefits at the taxpayers expense.

Everyone lives happily ever after.

Sponsored Links
Hmmmm, I really don't think so Inky. Divorce is frowned upon and leads to threats from family and worse. Read the link to the article supplied by wreckedit. Honour killings can and do happen in this country.

So do domestic violence killings - and they're MUCH more common.

No need for a whole new law and a whole new set of 'uman rights lawyers paid for out of the public purse just to tackle a small number of cases which are really just a sub-set of domestic violence anyway.

In both types of cases, like I said, the "victim" always has the option of just walking away and disappearing.

I'm disappointed by the racist and small minded views I've recieved from here, but I guess that that is what our country is coming to, and that this forum is apparently good ground for BNP activists to come recruiting. I hope that at least one person has been compelled to do the survey and help, which will mean it's a worthwhile exercise. I suspect that it's the minority who have replied and that the majority agree that abuse of anyobody of any race or creed is wrong.

My toys are all in the pram, but I'm not going to waste my time arguing with bigoted racists on an internert forum.

Thank you all for your input, it has been relayed to the charity leader and will hopefully help to further the cause.

You've relayed the fact that the overwhelming majority of those who've expressed an opinion on here think that you're wasting your time? that current domestic violence laws are sufficient? that if individuals from one particular section of the population CHOOSE not to avail themselves of the protections provided by those laws, then that is very much their lookout? that by insisting that this one particular section of the population needs its own special laws and protections it is, in fact, YOU who are displaying racist tendencies?

I'm disappointed by the racist and small minded views I've recieved from here, but I guess that that is what our country is coming to, and that this forum is apparently good ground for BNP activists to come recruiting. I hope that at least one person has been compelled to do the survey and help, which will mean it's a worthwhile exercise. I suspect that it's the minority who have replied and that the majority agree that abuse of anyobody of any race or creed is wrong.

My toys are all in the pram, but I'm not going to waste my time arguing with bigoted racists on an internert forum.

Thank you all for your input, it has been relayed to the charity leader and will hopefully help to further the cause.

BORING!

You've relayed the fact that the overwhelming majority of those who've expressed an opinion on here think that you're wasting your time? that current domestic violence laws are sufficient? that if individuals from one particular section of the population CHOOSE not to avail themselves of the protections provided by those laws, then that is very much their lookout? that by insisting that this one particular section of the population needs its own special laws and protections it is, in fact, YOU who are displaying racist tendencies?

I'll break from my affirmation not to reply. Not to try to have the last word, as I know that will never be the case, but to speak up against your (and other's, I certainly won't single you out) views and to correct your innacuracies and sweeping generalisations. The longer we argue about this the better as far as I am concerned - you are doing me a favour so please keep it up.

Yes is the answer to all of your above questions. We had a good laugh about it and drew some interesting comparisons.

Children are aware of anti-paedophilia laws yet sometimes (?...) they do not speak out and so suffer abuse. By your reckoning this is perfectly alright and their own fault? It sounds like it, and there is NO difference in the cases I am talking about. Yes they have childline, but if they CHOOSE not to use it then that's their problem?

A woman may be suffering abuse from her husband, yet does not speak out about it, despite knowing it's illegal, because her strict catholic/christian family would not allow her to consider divorce. That must be ok then?

This charity may be only offering help to a certain section of British born children in cultural minorities, yet they are making a difference and I've been given a chance to help. If they don't help, who will? Childline are not equipped to deal with these situations. This particular charity focusses it's efforts on one particular minority - sounds like any other charity to me. It's obvious that you and some others here aren't willing to help, but I thank you for giving me the chance to give an intelligent response to your arguments. I've got thick enough skin to be in the minority, it's just a shame nobody else is willing to speak up on the minority side.

P.S. If you thing this is BORING ignore it, ignore me (please, hit that ignore button. I won't because I'm enjoying the debate), but pointless replies that don't add to a debate about a real problem are childish.

[ it's just a shame nobody else is willing to speak up on the minority side.

Don't think they need any help on this. The country is full of minorities bellyaching about something. Many have crossed several continents to sneak into the UK. Then they find it's not all a bed of roses. Tough.

I didn't invite them here, and I certainly ain't losing sleep over their worries.

Sorry mate, but if you are looking for sympathy, you'll find it in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

I tried to take the survey but all I got was --

"Thank you for taking the survey.
Now you can create your own surveys for FREE."

-- and an invitation to sign up to something for free - which I obviously declined.

Despite the foul-up with the link, I've been following the thread.

Inky Pete said:
Once they've voluntarily travelled overseas we've no more right to dictate the laws in other countries than they have to dictate ours.

No argument there. It would be downright arrogant of us to try and impose British law in somebody else's country, no matter what we thought of them. :eek: :eek: :eek: I think Salman Rushdie would have something to say about that.

But this is also true --

Ossy said:
If you think they go voluntarily then you are mis-guided.

The threat of 'honour killing' may apply in some cases but I suspect that many more are driven by nothing more than blind prejudice allied to a belief that there is no alternative. :( :( :( Sorry ladies but I'll say this for the umpteenth time - and accept whatever criticism comes my way. You are, all too often, the architects of your own subjugation, even to the point of hacking bits off your own daughters. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: You are far too quick to accept whatever nonsense your mothers tell you. Rant over. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

I thank you for giving me the chance to give an intelligent response to your arguments.

When can we expect to see this "intelligent response".

I certainly don't believe I've seen it yet. All that your last post consisted of was the same sort of sweeping generalisations you accuse others of, plus a good dose of extrapolating valid points made by others to an extreme position in a completely transparent attempt to make those points appear ridiculous.

I would just re-iterate my position.

Adult females who go abroad to get married do so volutarily. The existing domestic abuse laws in this country mean that they ALWAYS have a choice. The same is true of domestic violence victims within this country. They ALWAYS have the choice to just walk away.

Those taking under age children abroad and forcibly marrying them off can, and should, be dealt with under this countries child sex trafficking legislation. They are sex traffickers and should be dealt with as such - not have their crimes dressed up in "culturally sensitive" language.

Who cares about some inbred marriages abroad in the likes of pakistan, India and other ****holes ffs?

I'm married to an Indian brought up and raised in a ****hole she's the one who worked in Great Ormond Street saving the kids lives with cancer, or her former speciality, researching the reduction of HIE in premature babies by inducing hyperthermia. And don't talk about money, what you read in the tabloids doesn't apply to paediatrics where they are paid a base salary which is much less than half the figure I've seen in the papers and there is no private work because it don't matter how rich you are, if the baby's coming early you go to A&E and hope that my wife is on call.

We should concentrate on our own problems like massive debt, crime and being swamped by asylum seekers, non english speaking illegal immigrants and other parasites who fleece the benefits system.

I would be more concerned by the English parasites fleecing the system. This "asylum seekers" taking our benefits thing is just distraction politics, blaming an ethnic group so we don't pay too much attention to the real issues. Exactly the same as the "oh shouldn't we feel bad because someone might be forced into a marriage". Depends how much force is used too, whether it's a "you must marry this person you don't know or die", or a "you must marry this person you don't like and become Princess Di".

This forced marriage thing is not nice but as a whole 20 (or even 200) people a year is nothing compared to binge drinking folks beating the crap out of each other on a Friday night (who take up more NHS resources than the asylum seekers), or indeed spending billions going off to war. We'd be paying less taxes and have a better country as a whole if we dealt with the bigger issues first rather than wasting time and money on fewer people (the amount of people forced into marriage) than the innocents we will kill in a week while at war as collateral damage.

Phil your wifes work is commendable and i'm all for skilled migrants who integrate and contribute to society. Sadly 50% of bangladeshi/indian/pakiStani/sri lankan migrants are "economically inactive" or in other words dependant on the welfare state and many of those don't speak english. Wtf are they doing here other than fleecing us?

Many indians are well educated and skilled professionalls who work in essential services like the nhs, which we desperately need.

Sponsored Links
Back