Forum Rule 9

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I like the diynot forum a lot, but am frustrated by rule 9 (dont ask about quotes and prices) as I feel this could be a good topic of conversation.

Instead check out **LINK REMOVED** where there is a free for all discussion on the price of UK services

Sponsored Links
I sont think advertising other forums will go down too well with admin :cry:

But the reason i think you will find there is rule 9 is becuse some one will ask:

I want an extra radiator how much will this cost?

or

I wnat an extra socket how much will this cost?

the problem is, as forum rule 9 points out how can any one even give a gusetimate without seeing the job?

it may be they live on the 12th floor of a block of flats with no parking and want a job doing, and more often than not there is always more involved in the job that what the person asking is telling, be it intentional or not.

yes "the bloke form down the pub will do it for £50" but is he doing it right and will he be able to issue the relevant paperwork? (i think not) hence forum rule 9

this being a typcal example (yes it s old, but its typical.

also put the shoe on the other foot

x asks how much for zxc some one says £708, person likes it some one does job and invoices for £908, "but on diy not they said its only £708"

Stuffed arent you.

I understand what you are saying breezer, but I believe that if you have enough feedback on a certain topic you can start to get a really good idea of what you should be paying. I plan to work on cost calculators to include all the little extras, look at variation by location on the UK, and most importantly to work on 'banding' the pricing, i.e look at the average price of something being say £708, but that the price varies by up to +/-£300, with 90% of all submitted prices being in that region. Therefore if someone is being charged £808 they can look at it, see that it is in the 'normal' band and feel slightly happier. However if they are being charged £1708 they can look at the prices and maybe start to ask a few more questions before they sign on the dotted line.

I think the consumer needs as much help as he/she can get!

I'm happy enough for admin to take down the link if they feel it is advertising. I just think that it is an area of home improvement that diynot doesn't cover...

ah yeah well rule number 12 I can see makes sense! sorry about that.

still I think rule 9 should be debated, i dont agree with it....

Sponsored Links
ajwt2 said:
ah yeah well rule number 12 I can see makes sense! sorry about that.

still I think rule 9 should be debated, i dont agree with it....

rule 9 has already been discussed at length
a compromise was reached that people would be made aware of rule 9
and the thread would be left open and untouched for people to comment if they wish

where as before the thread may have been amended or locked

in other words you may reply if you wish where as before you were activly discouraged from answering

and as you see not many people like to answer with "cost information" as its so variable :rolleyes:

Prices will vary from region to region. Some guys work in London where they have to add congestion charges, parking, lost time due to traffic etc. Other guys will work out in the sticks where they have to travel a fair bit for parts. Their prices will differ.

Some areas are over full with plumbers so prices have to be very competitive, others are quite sparse and not quite so.

The only way to get a rough idea of how much a job will cost is to get some local guys round to inspect and quote on the individual circumstances.

ajwt2 said:
I plan to work on cost calculators to include all the little extras, look at variation by location on the UK

and are you thinking of running this as a money-making scheme?

breezer said:
I sont think advertising other forums will go down too well with admin :cry:

Admin are insecure. They don't want people to know the names of stooges either, oops I meant moderators.

But the reason i think you will find there is rule 9 is becuse some one will ask:

I want an extra radiator how much will this cost?

or

I wnat an extra socket how much will this cost?

the problem is, as forum rule 9 points out how can any one even give a gusetimate without seeing the job?

it may be they live on the 12th floor of a block of flats with no parking and want a job doing, and more often than not there is always more involved in the job that what the person asking is telling, be it intentional or not.

yes "the bloke form down the pub will do it for £50" but is he doing it right and will he be able to issue the relevant paperwork? (i think not) hence forum rule 9

this being a typcal example (yes it s old, but its typical.

also put the shoe on the other foot

x asks how much for zxc some one says £708, person likes it some one does job and invoices for £908, "but on diy not they said its only £708"

Stuffed arent you.

It's also there because it was there in the beginning, and it would be a matter of losing face if it was removed, a sort of insecurity thing.

Sponsored Links
Back