Found a gas pipe.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Removed an old plate type electric cooker hob to replace with a new electric hob. Upon removal of this and the oven below, I have found a gas pipe running from under the floorboards up along the back of the wall with no support at all - the thing was bouncing all over the place! I have fixed this in place with some copper pipe clips so that there is no risk of it being damaged until the new units are in place.

The valve is a brass ball bearing type and is off. there is a short (100mm) run of pipe above this with a 15mm thread.

I have a selection of stop ends etc and I have checked and a 15mm one with rubber olive fits, nice and snug, not too tight.

My question is - would the valve being off alone have been sufficient? Would the stop end being on as a secondary safety measure now be sufficient? The state of the hob suggested that it was in situ for at least 15 years and had old wiring colours so it's obviously been ok for some time.

I accept that I am going to come in for criticism for touching it, but I literally just wanted to add an additional safety implement as I was concerned the valve alone was a bit risky. Should I bother to get a Gas Safe engineer round to cut the pipe down and cap and solder it off or as it's been as it was for so long do you think it is best left alone?

Sponsored Links
it might not even be connected the other end. but no a turned off valve is not a sufficient method of sealing a gas pipe.

& neither is a push fit cap (which I guess is what you mean as you said rubber olive)

it needs to either be a compression cap or a soldered cap

both of course providing it's still connected to the gas supply, as above it might be dead which is why it's moving around

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back