Size of copper pipe for replacement gas hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a ceramic electric hob and are looking to add a two burner gas hob (possibly a wok burner) to our kitchen. I wont be doing this myself but just interested in the reply to be "in the know". If that gas pipe is not feeding any other gas appliance, would a 15mm copper pipe be more than sufficient for an ordinary more recent 4 burner gas hob (no oven) let alone a 2 burner wok style hob that I will be having installed? I see on some forums people are mentioning 22mm pipes but for what I have described, would that 15mm be sufficient? The copper pipe will probably be teed off from a 22mm connection from the garage which will feed a boiler. The total distance of 15mm pipe between boiler and hob will be approx. 9m max and probably around 5 or 6 elbows.

Secondly, is it perfectly acceptable to have this pipe buried under 100mm of Kingspan insulation boards with wet underfloor heating above the boards and then screed and tiles?

Sponsored Links
The whole gas run needs to be correctly calculated for size based on the distances required, number of fittings, and power input rating of the connected appliances. We don't know how powerful your hob is, so it's impossible to even begin to advise on pipe size, and in any case such advice is prohibited on this forum to discourage DIY gas work

As said, you need to speak to a good Gas Safe registered installer mate. Don't listen to any daft 'Builder' etc. Some of these hobs with Wok burners can have a very large output >12KW.

Sponsored Links
If you really were going to get an RGI to do the work then I really don't see why you are asking here. The chosen RGI will tell you what is needed.

It makes me think that you are planning to do it yourself.

Tony

If you really were going to get an RGI to do the work then I really don't see why you are asking here. The chosen RGI will tell you what is needed.

It makes me think that you are planning to do it yourself.

Tony
Q Berny Green!! He's always all over DIY Gas threads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back