What Size Pipe Needed For Gas Hob?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To cut a long story short, I need to mount a continuous 2.5 m section of pipe in a location where access will be very difficult for the gas fitter to get to as my house/kitchen refurbishment progresses. The pipe will run from the meter to near the cooker and will eventually connected to the new hob by the fitter.

Don't worry, I won't actually be connecting either end of the pipe to the meter or the hob. The fitter will be able to see and test the pipe. Its just that by the time he comes to do his work and fit the hob, access to actually install the pipe would be impossible.

My question is, 15mm or 22mm for the pipe to connect to a standard domestic 4 burner hob?

Sponsored Links
If it is only a hob then 15mm will be fine but strictly speaking you shouldn't fit it.

glasgowgas, your comment would suggest 22mm, but i have never piped a hob or cooker in 22mm, in any domestic situation i have come across, and never would on a 2.5m pipe run, 15mm is all that is required.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, even Glasgowgas's confusing one. 15mm it is then!

glasgowgas, your comment would suggest 22mm, but i have never piped a hob or cooker in 22mm, in any domestic situation i have come across, and never would on a 2.5m pipe run, 15mm is all that is required.

so are you going to fit a 22mm x 15mm reducer on the meter outlet and pipe it all in 15mm then?
the OP stated that it will be one continuous run which will then be concealed.

i would run it in 22mm , this allows for future use for a boiler or larger cooker.

going by all your theory you could fit a 22mm x 10mm reducer at meter outlet and run the lot in 10 mm.

wise up boys FFS!

glasgowgas, the OP states the pipe will be inaccessible when the job is done (not ideal but thats for another day) the fact that it is inaccessible would not allow it to be tee'd into for future work, there is no talk of position of pipe run in relation to future gas etc. so i answered the question relating to fitting a hob,

As long as there are no joints in the pipe than a 2.5 m length of 15 mm pipe is fine and will be adequate for any normal cooker.

I would also say that if it can visually be seen to have no joints in the length then you can place it in position and any gas engineer will have no problem to connect and test it later on.

Tony

I too would put in 22mm pipe due to the fact access to lack of access and future proofing

glasgowgas, the OP states the pipe will be inaccessible when the job is done (not ideal but thats for another day) the fact that it is inaccessible would not allow it to be tee'd into for future work, there is no talk of position of pipe run in relation to future gas etc. so i answered the question relating to fitting a hob,

so kirky you WOULD fit a 22mm x 15mm reducer at meter outlet and run it all in 15mm?

as i said, in theory you could.

in theory 2.5m of 10mm would also do,but you wouldnt run it in 10mm, i wouldnt run it in 15mm.

rather than bend up to feed hob, i would put in a tee, stub of pipe and
a yorkshire stop end, giving plenty of scope for future use of gas pipe.

run it in 15mm from meter, well thats as much use as you are getting from that gas carcass, no cooker in place of hob, no boiler of any type in future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back